First scratchbuild on new layout

edburchell

Apr 24, 2006
My first scratchbuild for the new layout is a merchant freighter for my small harbour at the front right corner of my layout. I used 1/4" cardboard stacked and glued one on top of the other to form the basic shape for the ship. Then once that was dry and solid...I wrapped cereal box cardstock around it to form the hull. Cereal box was once again used for the superstructure, and portholes were made from cutting the end of a pen insert. Since these pictures were taken, the superstructure has a new bridge section. Which is a little different then what these pictures show, but it's unfinished and will post the new pics probably on the weekend.

This is the hull once the cardstock has been wrapped around the cardboard base

First level of the superstructure, made of cereal box cardstock and cut pen insert

P1211316.jpg

Second level done and it's really starting to take shape

P1221320.jpg

Basic superstructure done but top level has been changed. More pics will follow by the weekend.

Well that's it so far...will keep you all informed of my progress. It's gonna make a nice addition to my harbour. Keep in mind though it is not based on any one prototype...cept maybe the prototype in my head