Fire Car Project

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
A few days ago a Walthers Catalog arrived with a picture of a fire car for sale. I was a basic tank car with an added platform for a motor, pump, and hose pedestal. We have a small logging operation with a Three truck wood burning Shay, 6 scratch built log cars with 'Real Wood' from a back yard tree, and a heavily kitbashed log loader. The corporate motto is "Don't buy it if you can build it- build it from existing material whenever possible". We found a very, very old tank car and started. We used v-groove plastic sheet for the deck, cut down old Athearn stanchions, and brass wire. See attached photo.

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
The next step was the creation of the motor-pump-nozzle assembly. I used 1/8" plastic tubing,small plastic rod (label was 1 1/4" iron pipe) thin sheet plastic,dowel,and some square rods ( cut to create engine block). The nozzle was made from insulation pulled from some solid copper wire; that gave me an open end for water and an opening to insert the wire aiming handles. The solid copper wire became the piping from the dome to the pump and pump to nozzle.The intake plus air cleaner were made from the first two items listed, same for the exhaust and muffler. BTW, the correct Walthers item is the "Firefighting Tank Car". Attached picture is of unit before paint.

Attachments

• DSCN8669.jpg
    DSCN8669.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 133

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
Painting of the small parts was a bit tedious,but it does make it pretty clear what each part is. The tank is a dull non-descript green, and the logo is the standard for the logging outfit. The initials JDR are for my grandson, and LC = lumber company. No fancy logos, stripes etc..See attached picture.

Attachments

• DSCN8671.jpg
    DSCN8671.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 130

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
Final photo shows the unit on the track.With a string of log cars pulled by a wood burning Shay in front of a working oil well with a lumber yard in the background and an oil loading dock nearby, it seem there just might be some call for a firefighting tank car! Dave

Attachments

• DSCN8674.jpg
    DSCN8674.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 130