Finally fell into something nice

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by DeckRoid, Aug 24, 2008.

1. DeckRoid

DeckRoid Member

Usually when I fall into something, it usually is stinky or terrible in many ways. Yesterday at our club meeting, a friend brought in a whole mess of balsa wood that he got from a club 25 yrs ago and he said they had years of dust them when he got them.

He asked me if I wanted them, I opened the boxes and holy smokes, they were full.

I have no idea how old these strips are, but, boy howdy, Gary said For Free and I about fell over.

He even put the scale size on the top of the boxes... Yes, it was a good day yesterday!

2. Uintah Dave

Uintah Dave Member

Wow!!! Good haul.
  3. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Now that IS a good thing! Lucky you! Of course we are expecting to hear about you making something out of those supplies! :thumb:
  4. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Before anyone busts your bubble about balsa not being as good as bass wood for models , I remember that E.L. Moore used balsa for most, if not all of his work .
    Have at it --- you got the mother load!!
  5. DeckRoid

DeckRoid Member

Yeah... someone at the club already hit me with a Basswood vs Balsa argument before I hit the door with my new found stash. I look at it this way, it was free and it is a whole heck of A LOT of building materials... I'll take it and use it.

Last night, after the club meeting, I quickly put together a billboard from the Scratch Plans area. I hope to build a water tower and loading platform and lumberyard and a couple of houses and a barn or two and some fences. Not too many things are planned right now...

I think I might have to go get s'more glue and toothpicks. And rubber bands. I am going to have a very busy year.
  6. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

I knew that would happen!! Darn P***$#KS !!!
    If I remember correctly a while back there was a thread on here about some person having accumlated all of E.L.Moores articles from MRC?. You might want to try to locate that thread & get some copies from him to show the spoilsports just what is possible with balsa.
  7. sgtcarl

sgtcarl Member

WOW!! Congrats!! WTG!! Now, if you ever decide to sell some of that stuff....:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  8. jesso

jesso Member

I always love when people point out how your new free stuff isn't any good. It's free. In my book, that is the definition of good.:thumb: Have fun with your new haul, and can't wait to see pictures of what you build!