Father son project

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Wow, skunked for comments/questions on our latest set of pictures. Time to let this thread die I guess.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Just don't let the project die.
I think it's looking great and suspect it's loads of fun.:thumb:
Pretty soon you'll have to put in a few sidings and industries, then some add on wings and before you know it you'll have a large perminant layout.:rolleyes:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
That is so cool. I have a (rougly) 8x8 going, that my 20 month old son loves to watch, when it's running. I plan on working on it with him in the future years, and then eventually, once we both have better skills, build a larger one together, that is not just a couple flat pieces of plywood.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
TrainNut said:
Wow, skunked for comments/questions on our latest set of pictures. Time to let this thread die I guess.

Not necessarily...

It's the summer and activity and participation (including mine) on boards drops off pretty significantly.

In addition, the active posters are far outnumbered by lurkers who just feel that they may not have anything to add. There have been 740 views of this topic thus far, and for this corner of cyberspace, that's a pretty good turnout.

I am enjoying your sharing of what you've done, but I can't say that I have anything of substance to add at this point. How can you improve upon sharing a great hobby in a loving way?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
TrainNut said:

...and some of us just like to lurk and admire. 'Course, this posting sends me on my way to that awe inspiring 3000th post.

BTW, I'd love to take an N scale Lamborgini to that road work...woo hoo:thumb:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Thanks everybody for the comments. It makes you wonder when nobody says anything. In this case, silence is not golden. Never the less, I will make sure to post more pictures of our progress. Thanks.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
TrainNut said:
Thanks everybody for the comments. It makes you wonder when nobody says anything. In this case, silence is not golden. Never the less, I will make sure to post more pictures of our progress. Thanks.

TrainNut, as a "content provider" myself, both on the net and in print, I can tell you that responses of any kind are in fact pretty rare. I strongly encourage "incremental information" for my UMTRR column and I poke fun at myself with the "oops patrol" but there are entire months that go by with an empty in-box.

Think about, for example, how many "letters to the editor" there are. Sure, some aren't printed for some reason or other, but I doubt that the average publication receives many more than they print.

The vast majority of readers / listeners / viewers don't ever speak up. It's just something that you get used to.

If you are not trying to make a living out of it, and perhaps even if you are, the principal reason for posting in my opinion is that you enjoy sharing what you have done.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Thanks. We have done a little bit more since the last photos. Seeing your comment reminds me that I should update with some more.

TerrapinStation

Oct 18, 2006
Portland, OR
Nice layout, my 4 year old boy and I are going to make a similar addition to our 4x8 layout, you really inspired my son to get me going on it!

PS: He said "can we go to those guys house?"
"sorry they live far far away"
"well you need to call them and get directions daddy!"

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Great project. Wish I would have had that kind of support when I was a kid. Your son will probably have great memories of the layout when he is older. Don't throw it away if he moves on to other things. He will be asking about it when his kids are four.

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
Totally awesome project for a father-son team!
I remember when my dad and I made my first layout. I mean, we didn't scenic but a tiny bit (some buildings and a couple trees) but it was still a heck of a time to have some fun with my father when I was at the ripe old age of about 4-5. I sold the layout later to go into N-scale since I was limited with space. Though, my fondest memory is when he ran my Chessie System locomotive off the edge (he ran it too fast) and the rear truck fell off and it never worked again :p Those were the day! I'm sure your son will remember it for a long, LONG time as a great bit of fun, I know I do.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Photo update 11-09-06

Well, we have really slowed down on this layout but have been slowly progressing in the finer details. The Micro Machine garages in the hillsides all over the place now look like mine entrances (sort of). 3 string fences have been added here and there to corral in those wild cows and horses. A guardrail was even added on the side of the road coming down the hill 'cause the cars kept jumping the curb and having spectacular accidents with the trains. Crossing gates were also installed but most of the time they stay in the open position as they impede quick crossing dashes! I'm sure there are more little things here and there but those are the ones that jump out at me. Wow, doesn't that natural sunlight really make a difference?

Attachments

• DCP_4437 copy.jpg
    DCP_4437 copy.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 260
  • DCP_4438 copy.jpg
    DCP_4438 copy.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 234
  • DCP_4440 copy.jpg
    DCP_4440 copy.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 232
  • DCP_4441 copy.jpg
    DCP_4441 copy.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 234

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
WOW, that looks really cool and I am sure you guys are enjoying running trains and playing with those micro-machines.:) :)

BTW, Nice garages you made there, They look great:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: