Fantasy fortress for gaming

angelode

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the name of this fortress. I found it in a fantasy magazine about 20 years ago. Anyway I cut it out of the magazine and placed it in a box of DnD model houses that I forgot about. I have recently found it and am planning to use it for DnD gaming next year.
I have enlarged it so that the doors are now 2,5cm or 1 inch height, on 200 gsm card.
I pasted the base onto some good corrugated board and penned in 1 inch square blocks. This is the start of it so far. My problem is storage so I might make the pieces separate for DnD gaming purposes. So, my question is:
Has anyone seen this model before? Does it have a name? Is it from an existing fortress? ( I have searched the Net high and low, but have come up empty handed ). The magazine it was from was Brutish and out probably about 30 years ago... and that's all I have (here are the images). I stopped myself from building it immediately because I had this plan in my head all along, but I did cut up one piece off the rest, yet never lost it...

Attachments

• IMG_6663.JPG
    IMG_6663.JPG
    712.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6665.JPG
    IMG_6665.JPG
    911.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6666.JPG
    IMG_6666.JPG
    944.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6667.JPG
    IMG_6667.JPG
    821.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6670.JPG
    IMG_6670.JPG
    808.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6674.JPG
    IMG_6674.JPG
    768.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6675.JPG
    IMG_6675.JPG
    756.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6677.JPG
    IMG_6677.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6676.JPG
    IMG_6676.JPG
    754.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6678.jpg
    IMG_6678.jpg
    773.7 KB · Views: 27

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I remember seeing something along this line way back when, but not this building. What I saw was a Temple... In I Think Dungeon Magazine...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Nice fortress you've started. It looks very nice!

The forum has had a problem with doubling the posts, and in your case, the thread. It's not anything you did, . Sorry! :)

Famous Dave

It looks like the fortress from Dragon Magazine issue #86. It was called "Great Stoney". I think, and I may be wrong, that it was a small scale model. Reading that you scaled it up to accommodate 25mm scale gaming minis.
That was a very sought after issue way back in the day. Can't wait to see you assemble it.
Thanks for a great trip down memory lane.

Dave

angelode

It looks like the fortress from Dragon Magazine issue #86. It was called "Great Stoney". I think, and I may be wrong, that it was a small scale model. Reading that you scaled it up to accommodate 25mm scale gaming minis.
That was a very sought after issue way back in the day. Can't wait to see you assemble it.
Thanks for a great trip down memory lane.

Dave
That's awesome, thanks so much Dave, "Great Stoney" does ring a bell. And now I have the instructions to build it, thanks to you.
IMG_6667.JPG shows the original next to the enlargements.
If you are interested, you can find pdfs of the old mags at: http://annarchive.com/

angelode

Well, its been a while and in the mean time I have finished building the Great Stoney. Still haven't played on it yet but it will come...
As you can see from the pictures, it's hanging from my partition in my bedroom/studio.
Thanks Famous Dave for finding the magazine for me.
IMG_6937.jpg IMG_6938.jpg IMG_6939.jpg IMG_6940.jpg IMG_6941.jpg IMG_6942.jpg IMG_6943.jpg IMG_6944.jpg IMG_6945.jpg
Here are the pics of it coming together:

Last edited by a moderator:

Famous Dave

Fabulous. I love it. I like seeing the steps as it came together. Job well done. Thanks for sharing and the memories.

Dave

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Well, its been a while and in the mean time I have finished building the Great Stoney. Still haven't played on it yet but it will come...
As you can see from the pictures, it's hanging from my partition in my bedroom/studio.
Thanks Famous Dave for finding the magazine for me.
View attachment 151109 View attachment 151110 View attachment 151111 View attachment 151112 View attachment 151113 View attachment 151114 View attachment 151115 View attachment 151116 View attachment 151117
Here are the pics of it coming together:

I fixed it for you.