European Members?

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
I don't recall seeing any, but I'm wondering if there are Gaugers (or Gaugians? or Gaugists?) in or near Prague or Innsbruck.
The Childbride and I will be wandering around those two towns in March.
On the way, I'd pop into Merry-Olde England, to take Shamus a posie, but we're flying directly to Prague, and won't be able to sidetrack to England.
We'll probably take the train from Prague to Munich. Any tips?
Bill S

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Bill, how's this? Get Shamus's address before you go, look it up on mapquest and memorize the route, then when you get there, get behind the wheel, even if they just let you drive for a monemt. Yad-de-da ya-de-da state, "Oh, I'm lost" Yad-de-da ya-de-da and drive around a lot, State, "here's a short cut through this tunnel" Yad-de-da ya-de-da, hmmmmmm everyone's drivin on the wrong side???? What gives? Yad-de-da ya-de-da better pull over and ask, hmmm looks like a friendluyy house, let's ask here. Knock knock, PAUL! What a coincedence! Yad-de-da ya-de-da :D :D :D :D :D

clumber

Originally posted by Bill Stone
We'll probably take the train from Prague to Munich. Any tips?
Bill S [/B]

The only direct train from Prague to Munich is the overnight one. You can do it during the day with a change at Nuremburg but will have to pay a supplement.
At least border crossings are easier these days (they used to be entertaining crossing from the old Soviet block).
Enjoy your trip.
Brian

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Bill,
all I can say is dont forget to take you shots:D :D :D

Pity you ca`nt do a Merry old England trip to see our friend Shamus:(

But there are lots of Railways in Europe:D :D :) :)

Have great trip and treat your young Lady to lots of train trips:D .

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
Interurben: Naw... Don't need shots. All in all, Europe is probably a healthier place to be than here.

Clumber: Overnighter, huh? Hadn't thought about that. Back in the 60s when I spent a lot of time crawling around Europe, whenever I wanted to go somewhere, I just showed up at the station, and along would come a train going in more or less the right direction. Jeanette and I were over there in 97, but didn't have the occasion to ride any trains. We were going to take the train from Bratislava to Prague, but were advised by local friends that the short haul trains all over Slovakia and the Czech Rep. stunk, so we took a delightful flight on Czech Air instead.

By the way, should anyone have the occasion to use them, We very highly recommend the Czech airline, CSA. In 97 we took the above mentioned flight, but also used them from New York to Prague and return. Excellent, very clean Airbus, with perfect service, menus, and free alcoholic beverages --- and we're talking coach here, not first class. Even the short hop from Brat. to Prague was a delight aboard a comfortable little ATR 42-400 (Russian-built I think) and they served a nice little lunch on the one-hour flight!

We were so impressed we're flying them again this trip. (Luckily they've switched from wretched Newark airport to JFK, so our change from Delta to CSA should be more pleasant than in 97.)

Thanks for the tips.

BillS

Hi Bill. Hope u have a great trip. i presume u are going to take lots of pictures. Just a note about film, if u use it. Don't put your film in the camera before u fly and get one of those bags from your LCS (local camera shop) that prevent xrays from going through to put your film in. i was on a trip in May and the film went through 4 security checks. One is okay but more will develop the film. Not good :mad: Digital cameras no worry. :D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Nuremberg

Bill:
If you have to change trains in Nuremberg, there's a terrific RR museum just down the street. I did it in my lunch hour on a bus tour but I needed a few days extra.
Munich has a fantastic Tram service and also a bunch of subway lines.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Bill, Take me with you!?!?... I 'll carry your luggage and I can get a key chain with a can opener on it, ..;)

Hope you have a great time.
I spent a dizzying ( drunk) couple of weeks in europe when I was a teen. Wish I could do it all over again sober. took lots of pics but when I got home and had them developed they were mostly of pigeons and folk's feet. :D :rolleyes: Did manage to get a good shot of the terminal at Koln Germany though.

t.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
Thanks all....

And t., The air fare would cost you a lot less than us. Half our air fair is between LAX and JFK!

Not looking forward to the long flights. I used to do it fine, when you could smoke. Even did the 13-14 hours, LA to Tokyo, non-stop once. Now I have to chew nicotine gum to avoid the withdrawals. (Not to restart the smoking thread of a month or so ago.....)

Wierd thing about air fares. We were thinking about flying to Victoria, BC last spring, (perhaps 1200 miles or so) but the air fare was higher than this flight, LA to Prague! So we drove. Thought of driving to Prague, but not sure how well the Suburban would handle the North Atlantic.

BillS