Engine of the Week Aug 26- Sept 2

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Aug 27, 2006.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Well, since no one else has stepped up to the plate, I'll make this week's choice........announce1

The dependable 2-8-2 Mikado, which was the standard freight engine of North America from the 1920s to the 1950s. 14,000 were built by Alco, Baldwin, and the Montreal Locomotive Works.

Let's see your Mikes!!!! (and don't forget, the photo must be your own)

Here's my heavily modified BLI Mikado, with numerous additions (number board, number plate, feedwater heater and pump, whistle) and some changes (new decals, new brass cab numbers, moved bell).

Attached Files:

2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Oh Man That's Nice!!!
  3. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Been awhile since we've seen you post a pic, Val.
    And you picked a winner......NICE!
  4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

:wave: :wave: That is a winner indeed Val :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Nice job on your Mike, Val.:thumb:
    Here's a couple of my modified Athearn USRA light Mikados. There are a few cosmetic modifications, but most of the work was done to improve their paltry pulling power. You can check out how it was done at:
    Boosted output from an amplified mike...

Here are a couple of "before and after" shots that I took of one of cn nutbar's Mikes. First up is the 3529 as I painted her many years ago, one of my earlier paint jobs for my good friend.

And here's the old girl after a recent makeover at the Erie Northshore's Lowbanks shops.

And please don't worry that I've stolen nutbar's thunder by posting pictures of one of his Mikes: he's got more, and I'm sure that he'll post a few of them here.

6. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

i cant get in on pics for THIS thread, but Val, Wanye, and nutbar, your Mikados are AWESOME!:thumb: :D THANKS!:D -Deano
  7. viperman

viperman Active Member

Beautiful engines. Wouldn't mind having one for myself, even though I am modeling modern era
  8. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Wow Dr. Wayne - love that vandy tender!!!!

9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Great pics, Val and Wayne:thumb: ...no Mikes in my stable though...sigh:rolleyes:
  10. viperman

viperman Active Member

Can these run on 18" curves?
  11. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hello all---thank you val for picking my favourite steam locomotive.here's an athearn genesis usra mike that doctor wayne has transformed into a cnr s-3-a mike #3736

12. Catt

Catt Guest

I can play here too.:D Here's a local tourist trap railroad and their newly aquired B&O Mikado complete with Uncle Pete tender ,and Pensilvania passenger coaches.

13. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I have a couple Athearn Mikes too. Detailed for Erie N1's, but lettered JGL. I swapped out the Athearn tender and used the Vandy from Bachmann.

Attached Files:

14. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

A couple more

Attached Files:

15. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great shots everyone!:thumb: :thumb:

Finally I can join in!

Here is an older IHC Reading Mikado:

16. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Nice Tom. I have one other Mikado, this NYC H10b

Attached Files:

17. b28_82

b28_82 Member

hmmm, now where did i put that picture of my mike.... I'll be back ........
  18. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Beautiful engines, guys. I never knew this feeling of envy before :D :D . I am waiting for BLI’s next run of Mikados. Post some more pics to make it even harder for me sign1 .
  19. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Gary I don't think I've ever seen that arrangement before, with the lights mounted right up to the FW heater. Very interesting.

Great pics everyone!! :thumb:

20. b28_82

b28_82 Member

There it is!! Fired up the ole laptop and pulled my Mike pic out.

Attached Files: