Empty Space for New Layout

Shlitz

Sep 6, 2004
Bartlett, IL
trains.acsipc.com
:wave: I need some help with a track plan for my new train room space. With the exception of modeling in HO scale the track plan, layers, scenery and operations are wide open.

I prefer continuous operations with main lines but also need space for storage in some kind of yard as I have many trains 10 to 15 feet long.

I have a lot of code 100 flex track and many Peco switches already. Controls will be all DCC. I also like to run both freight and passenger trains.

If you have some spare time and enjoy designing track plans in a CAD program I would love to see your ideas and what you come up with. :thumb:

Attachments

• TrainRoom.gif
    TrainRoom.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 231
I tried to save the image as a .gif, .jpg and a .bmp file...they all came out with only greyscale colour capabilities...as in no matter what colour i picked in the paint program to edit them, they all appeared greyish...Is this the way you saved it, or is it the program?

Later
AR :wave:

Shlitz

Sep 6, 2004
Bartlett, IL
trains.acsipc.com
siderod said:
I tried to save the image as a .gif, .jpg and a .bmp file...they all came out with only greyscale colour capabilities...as in no matter what colour i picked in the paint program to edit them, they all appeared greyish...Is this the way you saved it, or is it the program?

Later
AR :wave:
What format would you prefer it in? I can upload any original to my website and give you a link.

JPG if you can, but BMP is acceptable as well...i think i found the problem on my end, but the image was at fault as well...software read colour code wrong.

Anywho, once you upload, i'll tinker and give a general idea what i think'd look cool :thumb:

Shlitz said:
What format would you prefer it in? I can upload any original to my website and give you a link.

dhutch

Nov 14, 2004
www.spurstow.com
the program that was used to draw the pic will have realised that the image was only drawen in B&W, so reduced the number of "colours" to keep the file size down

- you need to go to "incease colour count" or what ever it called in the program your using.

on second insepection, it works fine for me, copyimage, paste it into PaintShopPro, work a treat, i can make anthing any colour stright away!

Attachments

• bluelol.jpg
    bluelol.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 155

Shlitz

Sep 6, 2004
Bartlett, IL
trains.acsipc.com
Stop the Press

Cidchase, thanks for the work you put into the plan. I really like the double loop, yard storage, turnarounds and sidings.

While visiting three hobby stores today I found a book from Model Railroader by John Armstrong called The Classics Layout Design. One of the track plans called Cajon Pass modeling the San Bernadino mountains, UP and SF fits my room nicely.

It's a single continuous loop with lots of sidings, single layer with 2.8% grades climbing up and back down. There's yard storage, turntable with roundhouse and uses my space nicely.

I pasted it in my room plan and actually my room gives me more access than if it were built in a 10 x 20 garage. I'm gonna have to give up access to one of the three doors but I intend to create two hinged drop leafs by the other two doors.

What do you guys think? :thumb:

Attachments

• PlanA.gif
    PlanA.gif
    39.9 KB · Views: 136

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you turn that Cajon pass layout around to put the yard at the top and do a little fiddling with it, I think you could tuck the yard into the recess at the top. You might need to "bend" the yard around the corner to get a little extra length to the tracks. You will need to make some access in the middle of the layout to reach everything.