Electric switches and tortoise motors

stanC

Mar 22, 2007
After many years I decided to go back to my Lima Electric HO train. Reading your very interesting site I can see I have been living in the dark ages so please excuse the question if it appears to be silly. I see a lot of information about tortoise switches and connecting them to switches. I have electric switches that are complete and work very well. My question is why would someone get involved in the work required to install a tortoise motor ect when there is a readily available switch. It is not the expense. Is it the the satisfaction involved or are there other more basic reasons.
Regards Stan

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Not all turnouts (switches) come with switch machines (motors) to throw the points. In other cases, people prefer the slow-action of the Tortoise over the *snap* of a twin-coil solinoid machine.

There are always three or four right answers (minimum) to any question in model railroading...! ;)

Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
I am employing the Tortoise switch machines not because they work slowly (I feature I actually do not care about) but because the operation is completely concealed from the surface of the layout (just a wire sticking up to move the frog points), and they happen to mount very well in my foam board benchwork. They are pricey, but I believe they will work out very well.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
They need not just be used for changing points though, you can use them to actuate other things on the layout too.

I guess one nice thing about the snap is that you know the point has definatelly changed, if I ever buy myself a few then I will only use it in my main yard of the layout- I consider them a luxury.