Early Logging

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by jimmybeersa, Jan 24, 2003.

1. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

To day was snowing and cold..... -17c so I spent the day looking for Logging photos, found a school project site that might be of interest This picture caught my eye

Attached Files:

2. Ben H

Ben H Member

What elevation are you at for snow and such at this time of the year in the southern hemisphere.

Eastern Canada and United States are getting hit with some cold - cold weather but this is our winter.

We on the west coast of Canada only get rain and this year not enough yet to refill the city water reserves.

Now you have bid a very nice picture of a working Donkey and I can only respond with a real Donkey but its sitting in an outdoor museum

Attached Files:

3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Wow! Nice pics, guys. Don't see many of those babies in color. Jimmy, never noticed you location. I love seeing folks here from other countries.
  4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thought some of you "loggerheads" might be interested in this one...
    This was called the Fisher Pole-Line...they not only hauled logs...they used them for track too!
    This line ran about 5 miles out from Webbville, Ky in the 1880's.
    The photo shows a tank engine, with what looks like some type of log buggies...check out those double-flanged wheels!
    Sorry about the quality of the picture, but it's very old.

Attached Files:

• pl2.jpg
      File size:
      68.1 KB
  5. Ben H

Ben H Member

Charlie you have really up the bidding with that "log riding Loco"I have one more that is a little primitive but will have to do a search to get it.
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Nice one Charlie. Who-boy wooden rails. Wonder how long they lasted :)
  7. Steam Donkey

Steam Donkey Member

Nice donkey picture, Ben. Is that taken on Vancouver Island somewhere?

8. Ben H

Ben H Member

Yes Stan they have a limited display at Ladysmith.

Now Charlie has the bidding so high on this hand of "one up" that I think my best bet would be fold, but before I do, her is my last card.

Loco's that drag logs as opposed to pulling log cars.

Attached Files:

9. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Hey guys Present location Geogetown Ontario for the next 3 weeks then Canterbury England for 3 weeks At home we live at an altitude of 6000ft above sea level Thin poluted air!!!:( :(
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

As a challenge, try to design switches and crossings for a railroad that uses double flanged wheels. I've seen some in iron, but logs would be something else.
  11. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hey guys, some really great looking photo's, love the Donkey engines. Lets see some more like this.

12. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Here's another unusual critter...
    This is an undated photo from a W.Va. timber road...(probably around 1900)
    It's an A-type Climax locomotive, with a vertical boiler.

btw...this photo, & the one I posted above, are both from a book I have called Ghost RR's Of Ky. by Elmer G. Sulzer (Indiana University Press)
  13. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Well, I really screwed that up...
    OK, let's try this again...here's the photo...

Attached Files:

14. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Nice piccy, I bet that was a riot to run around on... :D :D :D Those guys could probably fix about anything that would fail, right on the spot, and get home early.
  15. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hell of a nice climax that Charlie, Hmmm, how can I make one.

16. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I'm sure you'll find a way.

Nice link! Lots of great information there!