Drums drums drums...

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by aaragorn, Nov 10, 2006.

1. aaragorn

aaragorn New Member

Hey Friends,

Has anyone tried making Oil drums? Well, I did and here are the results. First two attempts were average (actually, they look like used drums, which is a good thing). I think the third one looks closer to the real thing (The one in the middle in the first and second pics).

Attached Files:

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

So... how did you do them?

I have made drums simply by stealing the metal part off pencils that hold the erasers on... ;) I have also used a jig to crease the heavy foil that covers the wine cork - then wrap around a piece of 1/4" dowel. If you cut the dowel short, you can make an open topped drum that is close to scale thickness.

I'll have to find a pic...

3. Relic

Relic Member

Yeah man how'd you make them nice barrels, I've tried pieces of drinking straws painted striped to hide the fact they don't have ribs, that's ok for far away &semi hidden
  4. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

Pretty neat!:thumb:

I haven't tried that...yet!
  5. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Aaragorn, your oil drums are looking great. How did you make them? I made these two drums using styrene.

View attachment 31882

Attached Files:

6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

That's one nice thing about a project like this -- even your mistakes and practice samples can be used.
  7. jcoop

jcoop New Member

So, any more info?
    would love to know how you made those fine looking drums
  8. aaragorn

aaragorn New Member

better tutorial coming soon
  9. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Cool step by step tutorial, thanks:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

You can make out two drums in the second pic of the second post if you click on my Backwoods Engine House thread.