Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Now that I have entered the digital world of photography, and I have no excuse to miss any photo ops I may encounter, I decided to drive a little out of my way and take some cheap shots at the yards by my house. Sometimes there are some interesting goings on there. Nothing special today, but general busyness. The first shot is at the South end of the yard, by my house. If you recall the RC trains warning sign, it's in this shot.

Attachments

• driveby1.jpg
    driveby1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 294

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
In the above shot, you can see the overpass for US 52. This and the next two are take, again facing North, as I zipped over the over pass at about 45 MPH, uhhhm, 40 MPH, in case any Lafayette cops join the-gauge :D :D :D

Attachments

• driveby2.jpg
    driveby2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 295

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
BTW: The first shot was easiest, taken at slow speed, drivers side, the next three were at highway speeds, but also out the passenger window, which demonstrates how easy it can be to grab some nice shots with a nice, fast camera.

Attachments

• driveby4.jpg
    driveby4.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 277

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
LOL yaaaaaa, but I need to work on weatherin' :D :D :D

The rail in the first shot used to be half of the double mainline before railroad relocation. It went all the way through town. Now it ends just before the next major road south from the crossing. Trains used to block that crossing for hours on end.

But you're right, they do a lot there.

Those are some terrific pix, jon!! You covered a lot
of modeling details; the road crossing with sidewalk, the yards, gondola loads, what is that tank for in the second photo??
(right beside the 90 degree crossing, in a yard, even!!)
Also the parking lot, dumpster, puddles, vehicles, a real
gold mine of proto details!! :D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
I beleive that is the sand tower, and one track on that crossing (left/right - East/west) is a leg of a wye. The other track, the one with the Loco on it, usually has 1 or 2 loco's in wait and a caboose, and it is actuall a siding leading into Staleys (corn syrup). You can see the edge of Staleys, where all the hoppers are, presuamably full of corn. At the bottom of that photo you can see another leg of the wye and a siding that goes through town feeding Cat, Alcoa and several lumberyards. Complex little place! Todays driveby, was pretty unfruitfull, as the yard was not busy, and I experimneted with the "motor drive" and got 10 pictures of the same thing :D 10 fps is too fast! When I get it loaded onto a PC, I'll see if there's anything worth posting.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
I had to run an errand and drove by again at lunch today and had a little better luck. The caboose was on the move, but I was onthe wronge side to get a pic :( A GP 2 grain hoppers and the caboose. Someone told m ewe have it because of a local ordinance. They don't have to use it on through trains, but all the locals use it.

There i susually something interesting going on there. The gizmo seems to be spreading ballast.

Attachments

• gizmo.jpg
    gizmo.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 252

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Interesting photos Jon, including the ones you took while driving. Isn't that as bad as talking on a cell phone at the same time? Whoa!!! who is actually driving?:D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Don't worry, Robin, I have cruise control. I just lock it in at 45 MPH and hop over in the passenger seat and start snapping away! That's how it works, right :D:D:D All of these shots are at speed, because it's no parking there and the entrance to the yards is no trespassing :(

Attachments

• yards3-9-4d.jpg
    yards3-9-4d.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 167

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
This morning, I found our caboose has returned and is sitting behind two bax cars, presumably returning from a run to Alcoa. I saw a CN box car at the Alcoa plant earlier this week. Cat shipments are usually on flats.

Attachments

• pict0142.jpg
    pict0142.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 156