DPDT switch question

psocks

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
1 2

3 4

5 6

Using the example above as guidance I need to make sure this is right. I have 1 transformer available to me. I want to make “dead” sections on my track ( basically the spurs) that I can park one train in and still run a second train on the remaining “live” track. I will need to insulate each section I want to be able to turn off or on. I will also need to wire each of these selectable areas to a DPDT. A DPDT that has an on/off. I would wire each DPDT as follows:

Track gets wired to 1 and 2. Powerpack goes to 3 and 4. 5 and 6 get nothing. Is this correct?? Thanks a million :thumb: :thumb:

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
I would wire these differently. I would have #3 and 4 be the feeds to the track. Power from the power supply would go to #1 and 2. This way when the switch is flipped, it will either send or cut power to the track, depending upon switch position.

Eric

psocks

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
Okay sounds good. With this approach I assume you could do as many "dead" lines as you want correct? Since you only need to have the spurs turned on when you want to move the train on the track. And I guess the biggest thing is to ensure you have the correct polarity on all sections of track.

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
That is correct. You could also add another throttle to #5 and 6, to be able to use different throttles in an electrical block. For this, I would suggest using DPDT with "center off." That way, you could cut power to a block by setting the toggle switch to the center off position, then choose between throttle A and B by flipping the switch to either "on" position. If you have not yet purchased the switches and only have one throttle for now, go for the "center off" switches. These will allow you to add a second throttle in the future, with minimal wiring. That will let you have one power pack operate the train on the mainline, while having a switcher work your yard or spurs. Just keep the tracks isolated electrically, to avoid shorts. It is really much easier than it sounds.

#1 and 2: Throttle A
#5 and 6: Throttle B
#3 and 4: Feeds to track

With a center off DPDT, flip one way, Throttle A controls track. The other way, Throttle B controls the track. Move switch to center position, kills power to track

Eric

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Pitchwife said:
An alternate method wouuld be to run

#1 & 2 to one block of track
#5 & 6 to an adjoining or other block of track
#3 and 4: to your throttle

Then you can move your train from one block to another using the same throttle
How would you run continuously from 1 block to another with this wiring scheme? Pomperaugrr's recommendation makes the most sense.

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
I use Eric's method and have about 15 isolated sections and two throttles. This is what I understand to be called cab-control. It works really well (in fact I've double isolated each block (cut both tracks) and have DC on Throttle A and DCC on throttle B because I've only just started converting my loco's

It is important to get the centre-off DPDT switches for this to work properly

One work of advise if doing a whole layout this way, you probably need less sections than you think I'm re-wiring my layout at the moment and will probably drop it to 8 sections rather than 15.

Graham

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
CalFlash said:
How would you run continuously from 1 block to another with this wiring scheme? Pomperaugrr's recommendation makes the most sense.

It all depends on what kind of operations you are attempting. In my example one track could be a siding and the other be the adjacent mainline. The only drawback to pomperaugrr's setup is if you have each throttle set to different speeds causing the train to speed up or slow down when it passes from one block to the other.

Gosh! I've almost talked myself into springing for a DCC system. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :D :D :D

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Pitchwife said:
It all depends on what kind of operations you are attempting. In my example one track could be a siding and the other be the adjacent mainline. The only drawback to pomperaugrr's setup is if you have each throttle set to different speeds causing the train to speed up or slow down when it passes from one block to the other.

Gosh! I've almost talked myself into springing for a DCC system. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :D :D :D
Ppomperaugrr's setup is simple cab control. You set the swich to the same cab as it progresses around the layout flipping it off as you leave the block. It is this last task (or forgetting to do so :eek:ops: ) that is good justifcation for DCC :thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If you are going to run DC and DCC at the same time, you need a protection device. I was told it is to protect the DC power pack.
An automobile light bulb is the minimum protection, but there is a black boc somewhere that does the job faster.

grumbeast said:
...I'm re-wiring my layout at the moment and will probably drop it to 8 sections rather than 15.
Graham

Graham,
Little off-topic splurge here, but on my layout if i stuck with DC, i would have got 44-45 shut-off sections (12-track yard and 15-stall roundhouse adds up quickly) but since converting to DCC i'm chunking the blocks together to ease of use and to make the pannel less cluttered...once i go DCC, those 45 blocks will drop down to 8 (10 at most)

We now return to our previous programed thread already in progress...this has been a test of the siderod blocks his layout emergency test system... **beep**
:thumb: