double crossover

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Dec 15, 2006.

  1. ozzy

    ozzy Active Member

    ok, im looking for a double crossover. the only ones i have found have the plastic roadbed on them, im using atlas fextrack code 80. i cant find any made by atlas online .

    anyone knows where i can find one for N scale?
  2. nolatron

    nolatron Member

  3. ozzy

    ozzy Active Member

    whats an " electro frog" ?
  4. steamhead

    steamhead Active Member

    I see you've been looking at Peco turnouts. An "electrofrog" is a non-insulated frog. That means that it's live all the time. This is good because there are no "dead spots" in the track. It's bad because you're more likely to have a short circuit in the point rails, and you'll also have to isolate the two rails coming out of the frog. They are also not "power routing".
  5. ozzy

    ozzy Active Member

    looks like they cost some big bucks for one piece of track. i wonder if i can do the same thing with 4 switchies.....

    all i want to do is run 2 mainlines where i can change ether train back and forth between lines if i want without picking them up off the track.
  6. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

    They end up being a bit larger, but you can assemble your own with a crossing and four turnouts. In HO scale using Atlas code 100 I used two #4 lefts and two #4 rights and a 25 degree crossing. It requires a couple short straight pieces for main line between the turnouts but places the two main lines 3 inches apart. Surely the same can be done with N scale.
  7. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

    Using XTrkCAD I made one with Atlas N scale. There isn't a 25 degree crossing, but the 20 degree works with #6 turnouts. Comes out to 2.25" centers and 17.15" long.

    Ah ha! While writing this I tried it with a 30 degree and #4 turnouts. Works! 1.9" centers and 12.3" long.
  8. ozzy

    ozzy Active Member

    so if im using a differant transformer for each line, id need to use the plastic track conectors in there somewhere right? on both rails of the track?

    and if i want to have a sidding with a train waiting to pull out to the mainline using one transformer i just need to use a plastic connector on one rail with a jumper for the power with a toggle switch right?

    id like to have a train pull into a yard, then unhook the mainline engine, and then pull out with new cars, then flip a toggle to move out the yard engine to break up the train that just came in.
  9. baldwinjl

    baldwinjl Member

    If you have room use two single crossovers, which can easily be made with standard switches, and are more prototypical anyway.

Share This Page