Double Crossover?

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
straight-track said:
Here you go guys, another sample of a double crossover!
attachmentqv6.jpg

I would have to argue that this double-crossover isn't entirely prototypical (nothing wrong with that! double-crossovers are cool!), judging by the responces to this thread. There appears to be room for two single-crossovers.

The crossover going from top left to bottom right could have been placed closer to us after the other crossover. Or is there a limitation on how near a turnout can be to a grade crossing?

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
LoudMusic,There is no rules govern how far a switch can be from a road crossing or railroad grade crossing..I have seen streets and road crossing built into switches.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Double Crossover: I don't know of any out on the mainline in the country. There is a truckload of the at Toronto Union Station, most with doudle slip switches for the turnouts. Most subway systems use them at terminals (and other points) for reversing trains.
Double Crossings: At West Toronto there is a double crossing -- two tracks of CP cross 2 tracks of CN. And one other track of CP crosses CN just north of it.
The setup used to have the other CP track crossing both CN trcak and both CP tracks; imagine a # with a / across one corner of it. 3 different crossing angles, none at 90 degrees. (The CP lines used to be 2 different railways.)
In Brampton, the ex-CP single line crosses a double CN line.

Aug 28, 2005
Northwest Indiana
I don't want to ruffle any feathers or start a ruckus, but I refuse to believe that somewhere in these " Great United States " that there is not at least one double crossover still in use on a mainline ! :rolleyes:

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
/me waits to see feathers fly ... ;)

If I were guessing, and I tend to do that a lot, I'd guess that all the major railroads have determined that certain rail configurations are too high-risk and have eliminated them from high-use locations. If there is a failure on the main line they stop getting paid for anything that is supposed to travel on that main line.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
zedob said:
A double slip switch. Probably more common that a double-x-over

Slip switch! I, uh, knew that ... I was testing you ...

** LoudMusic looks shifty-eyed around the room **

This particular instance appears to be a fork in a double track line. I would imagine this is the most common use of a double slip switch, but where else might one be used?

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
That's some busy track there. You'd think with that much track and facilities there'd be at least some trains around.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mr. Music: that was Saturday about midday to midafternoon. There's a pair of commuter trains (GO) every hour and the occasional VIA. The middle bits of track had been taken over by the maintenance department.
You should see it at 5 p.m. on a weekday. But then you wouldn't be able to see all the nice trackwork.