Does it ever seem that... (kinda long)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by iis612, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    Well, in some ways, it is the easy answer. Just start again. Also one of the hardest answers too... :(

    If the mould is just surface on the structural members, then you might be able to gut the house, and completely redo it. The advantage is that you will also get to rework all the old plumbing and wiring, and end up with a brand new house that looks just like the old one.

    You might check and see what sort of coverage you might have for this kind of disaster, despite the fact that the mould may have started with an "uninsured" event (flood).

    The other thing is to remember that your health (you, wife, and baby) comes above all else, and no cost is too high for that. Mould is dangerous stuff, no matter what the OB says.

    Best of luck!

  2. Cannonball

    Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

    That really sucks to hear man.
    I think you've got the right idea about selling out to a developer though.
    If the house is in a prime location, you could probably get enough for a new place just for the land alone. Or at least enough to make one heck of a down payment. Good luck to you and the family with whatever you decide to do. And good luck on the new arrival as well!
  3. iis612

    iis612 Member

    Well, the saga continues...
    After much deliberation, agonizing, calculating, and just general scrutinizing the situation, we have decided that we are not going to try to save the house.
    Suprisingly, and importantly, my wife's grandmother is excited to move to a new house. That was an extremely sensitive area about all of this. This house has been her home for more than 50 years.
    The only work that is going on around here now is for the sake of beautification. There are some cosmetic issues that will be taken care of to broaden the market appeal. We want to list the house with more than one "buying group" to market to. We will take the best offer, but we want to market to the "rehabbers" and the developers.
  4. rogerw

    rogerw Active Member

    Will you disclose the mold problem if you sell it to a private buyer?
  5. iis612

    iis612 Member

    Both by law and general morality I will. I have a detailed report of the known mold locations, it's activity, and the level of toxicity of each type found. Also EPA remediation guidelines, and a list of mold remediation contractors will be disclosed.
  6. iis612

    iis612 Member

    So, we have begun the process of looking for a new house, which is kinda fun.
    So far, the marital politics regarding space for my layout has me netting a large space (depending on the available space in the house).
    Which has me reconsidering my choices of prototypes to model.
    I used to work for CSX on the Saginaw sub. I might model that between the Saginaw yard and McGrew Yard in Flint, MI.
    It is a simple road with a great yard in Saginaw. Look it up on Google Earth, it really is something. The whole yard is shaped like a wye. I am thinking of modeling the mid 1990's, as that is when I worked there.
  7. Cannonball

    Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

    Is it the one right by the Vetran's Memorial Highway?
    That's pretty wild. One big triangle! :D
  8. iis612

    iis612 Member

    That is the one.
    There is alot of history at that yard.
  9. Renovo PPR

    Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

    My youngest was born on 3-30. I wish the very best to you.
  10. Pitchwife

    Pitchwife Dreamer

    It may be too late, but have you considered dividing the lot into three sections and selling two of them to cover the cost of rebuilding on your current site? That way a train room could be worked into the design. :thumb: :thumb:
  11. N Gauger

    N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

    I was thinking the other way - - Is it large enough to build the new house on one lot/area - then sell the old house & land????
  12. N Gauger

    N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

    Oh... and are the in-laws going to fight for some of the money????
  13. iis612

    iis612 Member

    We are not up to re-building. With the new baby due so soon and the stress of having to relocate, we have decided that we are going to keep the in-laws in the dark until we have signed for the new house. If they want to try and fight for money then they can bring it.
    Right now we are just getting this place ready to list. It is quite a task. I am already working on my second roll-away dumpster. We have 2 1000 cfm hepa filters running on high all the time to help with the mold spores, and the basement has been cleaned out and is sealed off from the rest of the house.
    It is becoming a lot like work.
    Thanks Renovo.:)
  14. iis612

    iis612 Member

    I have found a new way to deal with stress. I have several trees in my yard, and they all need trimming. Playing with a chainsaw is a great tension killer!
    The house is rapidly approaching a state where it can be listed. It just seems that the more I do, the more there is to do.
    We have started looking at houses online, and have already found the house we want. It will probably be sold before we can buy it though. It is a Quad level with 2350 sq ft. The sub-basement is divided into 2 large areas. 1 being laundry and the other being the train room. It is in the neighborhood of 20'x15'. As long as I can accomodate some storage, it is all mine. :)

Share This Page