Does anyone read the Walthers Catalog anymore?

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I've always treated the Walthers catalog as my year-round "Christmas Wish Book"... I buy a copy every couple of years, since things do change from time to time, but I've still got copies back into the eighties... all dog-eared from steady thumbing.

I'm just wondering if people are foregoing the pleasures of browsing the catalog for the instant-gratification of online searches?

For newbies, I'd say pick up a catalog and just browse... you'll never see such a variety of stuff at your hobbyshop... and the photos are pretty inspiring too.

I think if we want to help newbs out, maybe one of the best things we can do is give them our old Walthers catalogs... well... OK... lend them our catalogs... I know I'll want mine back. :)

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
LOL..."give" ya rightstooges8 !

I haven't bought a copy in years but when I did I really enjoyed thumbing :thumb: through it. I don't buy it now because if they want me to buy the stuff they are selling they should just give it to me.:D

I also don't wear things that advertises anything, why should I pay to advertise for a company????announce1

Thinking maybe I should bite the bullet and get a new copy.

Rick

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Well I'm not so sure about that one but I sure do enjoy my Lionel, K-Line, MTH and Williams catalogs. :) :) :)

I must be crazy when I jump into bed I spend an extra hour reviewing one of them each night. It is getting to the point the wife thinks she married a train catalog. :)

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I agree with OT and for the record my very small LHS gave them to me all free. GO TIRE HILL SPORT AND TRAIN. Neat place you can buy trains, guns and fishing poles. :)

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
I've got one of the Anniversary editions that is permanently moored beside my bedside table. I think I also have two more earlier copies in my bonus room. I'd much rather browse through a paper book than browse an online-catalog. And this from someone who loves computers and the internet.:)

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I love catalogs. Like oldtanker, I object to paying for someone to advertise their product to me. I guess I'm still in the 1940-1950 era in that respect. I still miss the Sears catalog. I do realize; however that the cost of producing something like the Walthers catalogs is costly for a smaller company.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Jim Krause said:
I love catalogs. Like oldtanker, I object to paying for someone to advertise their product to me. I guess I'm still in the 1940-1950 era in that respect. I still miss the Sears catalog. I do realize; however that the cost of producing something like the Walthers catalogs is costly for a smaller company.
Jim, that era must extend into the 60's because I agree wholeheartedly.

One of my beefs with companies involved with this hobby is that they all feel like they don't have to do anything without charging for it. Kalambaugh's publication subscriptions are some of the most expensive. They pay little if anything for their submissions, are full of ads that they charge premium prices for and the special links to supplement their articles are little more than ads for downloads that they charge for. Also re Walthers, what other industry charges you to find and order overpriced items? (There are a few that cater to the wealthy, which few mrr's are.) I base the "overpriced" tag on the fact that almost every other LHS and OLHS sells the same items for less. I may be missing something, but there seems to be something wrong with this picture.

I must admit though, that I too have "bought into" the whole situation being a subscriber to MR, buying the catalog (only one) and ordered from Walthers (a bit disappointing because part of my order was back-ordered and didn't meet their $20 minimum order requirement). :( :(

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I bought my first Walther's catalog (2007 N & Z Reference Book) this year when they were on special for $7 or $9 or whatever it was...

All in all I doubt I'll buy another one. I visit the various manufacturer sites regularly to read their online catalogs and see better pictures of upcoming items, and I check out products on the numerous Nscale retail websites. Walther's reference book is fine to keep for price comparisons...but for me at least, of little real value.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I meant to buy one this year when they reduced the price, but things got kinda hectic towards the end of last year and it got by me. :rolleyes: I still get their monthly sales flyer and read that. I order from it every so often and usually go on their web site and order from there as well.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
I admit - I have a few catalogs in my water closet. Great reading material for the study!!! I do not purchase any catalogs. I enjoy the fliers that walthers send monthly. I do miss the Radio Shack catalog. Alot of mental engineering went into many of my railroad projects such as timing circuits, traffic lites, cds detection circuits etc.. I sure do miss that catalog :(

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Don't have any, I like looking through the online serch engine:D I took a quick look at Lionel's catalog once, got weirded out by the new moving car sets (It's just O gauge in pavement, they even have transition parts!), but I thought their 'Midnight Chief' was cool.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I've never ordered from Walthers directly, I do all my shopping at the LHS.

I wasn't suggesting buying as the reason for having the catalog. What it is, to my mind, is a great resource to show what is available in any scale in model railroading. While not completely comprehensive, it's certainly the biggest collection of info in one printed source.

I use it not only for wishful thinking and daydreaming, but if I ever wonder "I wonder if somebody makes a ______?", I do a little thumbing.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Since my LHS orders from Walthers. I have the Walthers catalog, so when I need to order something, I just give the LHS guy the number right out of the book. Makes it easier for both of us.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I've got a couple of Walthers catalogs that I bought from the last few years, but I didn't buy one this year, even though they were a lot cheaper this time around.

I mostly look at the Walthers website for things.

Val

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I love the walthers books. I have both N scale and HO scale in 2006 and getting both again for 2007. This time around I can pick up both for the price of 1 last year.

I use the Walthers books a lot because I don't have internet on my computer up-stairs and I have to come downstairs to use the internet cause we don't have a router. My layout is upstairs as is my work area so I refer to the books more than I do there web site.