Diesel Loco Of The Week, 8/26:Passenger Power

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Ok...Lets see them. The F's, the E's, the PA's the SDP's. Whatever leads(or trails if its push/pull service) of your favorite passenger or commuter line.
Here's mine. A P40 Genesis that I painted and decaled in Connecticut Department Of Transportation colors.The decals are from Micro-Scale CDOT "Horizon" commuter car set.

Note: The pic has to be taken by you.

Attachments

• P40.jpg
    P40.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 248

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi all,

couldn't contrbute to the last loco of the week thread, NO SD40-2 on the roster. But I've a lot passenger locos!
Here's version ot Conndot's AMD-103, made with Microscale decals. The orange and the black stripe is a decal, getting them on the shell was grmmmmpf!!!!! I'll post a better picture of the loco later. Has anybody seen the prototype, is the stripe more red or orange??

Attachments

• New Haven.jpg
    New Haven.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 235

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I want that! That is nice.
I have seen the prototype. It ran on the Bridgeport/Waterbury Branch of Metro North for a couple of weeks in place of the usual FL-9's.
Unfortunatly, the stripe was red.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Couldn't do the last one either for lack of SD40-2s in my fleet. Got plenty of passenger power...with more to come. My Athearn Espee Geep in the classic "black widow" scheme---note the steam generator gear atop the high nose. And my Athearn PA1s in classy Pennsy pinstripes:thumb:

Attachments

• 1GP7.jpg
    1GP7.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 1PA1.jpg
    1PA1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 227

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi 88fan1,

Thank's for the info, sitting in Germany I had only fotos from the internet and couldn't figure out the correct colour! I have another one with painted on stripes, red and black, but not finished yet! It's sitting next to my Tri-Rail F40PHL2 and my Metrolink F59PH, waiting to be completed. Two decal sets are available for Conndots Genesis, the Microscale and the Highball Graphics set. The later contains decals for two locos.

Attachments

• DSC01928.jpg
    DSC01928.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 231

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I can get in on this one.:) First up is an old Model Power E9A, with a few minor cosmetic alterations. The green paint on the first two locos is from Testors, while the yellow lettering and striping are SMP Accupaint. Both units were first painted yellow, then striped with masking tape and lettered with Letraset dry transfers. Next, the green paint was applied, then, as soon as it was dry to the touch, small bits of masking tape were daubed over the shells, removing the Letraset and revealing the yellow lettering.
100_5608.jpg

And in company with the first loco, an E7B Phase II, kitbashed from two Model Power E7As. Most of the body panels are redone to get the appearance of thin sheet metal around the filter openings, both those cut into the carbody and those installed in former window locations. There is a "filter" installed behind each opening, and although not readily apparent from the photo, the upper carbody openings are see-through where appropriate. This one was built using prototype photos as a guide.
100_5609.jpg

These two, also from Model Power, are my version of my favourite diesel, the FPA-4. Again, the side panels were reworked to get the proper batten spacing, and the air intake louvers near the top rear were scratchbuilt from styrene. The lower intake was built, then covered with stainless steel grill from Detail Associates, as were the balance of the upper carbody side openings. The rear part of the roof, with the cooling fan, was sliced off, then turned end-for-end, to get the proper placement, and the back end of the loco was rebuilt. On the front end, new number boards from Details West, a modified headlight and pilot, and some new louvers below the cab windows. The fuel tank was scratchbuilt from styrene and some detail parts from Detail Associates, and the icicle breakers on the roof were soldered together from brass bar, then pinned to the roof with brass wire. They were painted in a CNR-style freight scheme using SMP Accupaint, and the striping was done with SMP Accucals. The lettering is individually applied dry transfers from C-D-S.
100_5439.jpg

Wayne

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
I love it!!

First Athearn (old) dressed up and custom painted shown here in weekend freight service.
58678cnw416_wb_able_1.jpg

Next up, All custom painted, Proto2K E7A, Athearn FP45B:)D ), and Proto2K E7B at the Ablemann quarry.
54789Locolash_1.jpg

Johnny

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 194

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Allright, here is my motley collection. Amtrak, Intercity, the 90's version of the bullet train, and what's known as the Japanese love train.

Attachments

• DCP_4096.jpg
    DCP_4096.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 183
  • DCP_4097.jpg
    DCP_4097.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 178
  • DCP_4098.jpg
    DCP_4098.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 180
  • DCP_4099.jpg
    DCP_4099.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 178
C

Catt

KATO P42 pulling ConCor Superliners,aka the Pere Marquette hauling butt towards Chicago from Grand Rapids.

pm1.jpg

These are the "N"ormal scale Amtrak stuff.:D :D :D

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
TrainNut said:
Allright, here is my motley collection. Amtrak, Intercity, the 90's version of the bullet train, and what's known as the Japanese love train.
Oooops. It appears I was not paying attention or just can't read. Sorry - missed the requirement about the diesel part. Two of mine were traction. I'll take my penalty points now I guess.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
caliban said:
Hi all,
Here's version ot Conndot's AMD-103, made with Microscale decals. The orange and the black stripe is a decal, getting them on the shell was grmmmmpf!!!!! I'll post a better picture of the loco later. Has anybody seen the prototype, is the stripe more red or orange??

Heya,

I drive through Manhattan daily on my commute to work, and I pass the Park Avenue bridge heading north where I see a lot of MNCRR traffic. I also pass the Metro North maintenance facility north of the Macombs Dam Bridge/Yankee Stadium on the Harlem River, and often see the New Haven-livery P32AC-DM Gennies there. The orange in those decals do look a bit too orange, but I guess it also depends on the lighting conditions. On really sunny days, the stripe does look a bit orange, but on normal and overcast days it looks red. :D

I love those P32AC-DMs. Too bad nobody makes one, and it's darn hard to convert the Athearn AMD103 shell to look like one! Oh well.

to eightyeight fan: That ConnDOT paint scheme is freelanced, right? The only MNCRR P32AC-DM paint schemes I have seen so far are the MNCRR Stealth Grey and the New Haven. Just wondering if there is something new out there I should be expecting to see on my daily commute. :D

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hey LongIslandTom,

Thanks for the info. So I will have one for sunny and one for overcast weather. There was an how-to-kitbash-articleabout the P32 in Railroad Model Craftsman a few years ago. If you wanna have your own, I recommend the Microscale decals and cutting away the orange lower stripe, paint that part the matching New Haven red. Here's a picture from the paint shop:

Attachments

• P32-2.jpg
    P32-2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 147