Details you may need???

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by stripes, Mar 26, 2007.

1. stripes

stripes Member

I am starting to develop new products that are resin cast, and would like everyone’s input!
    Idea’s I have are for:

Parking meters
    Fire hydrants
    Mail boxes
    camping tents
    Camp fires
    Also, patio blocks in O Scale

Here is a picture of the patio blocks,

So, my big question is what detail parts would you like for your layout and have a hard time finding?

Thanks for your opinions!

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Any details appropriate to the 1920s and 1930s!

Things I would like to have at some point:

kerosene lanterns
    scrap appropriate to era
    bottles in wood crates
    tents (canvas type)
    suitably attired people
    "craftsman" (or art deco/mission oak) style windows and doors for "new" homes
    more vehicles from 1920s and 30s

I am not saying these are not available, just this is my wish list... so far ;) :D

3. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Parking Meters
    Prime Movers (The engine of a diesel)
    More comman cars- Model Power cars are too exotic. And others are too expensive!
  4. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

cars for 1950-1960
    picket fences
    coal miners and there tools.
    steel mill workers
    blowdown drains (steam servicing)

and thats all i can think of now,and realize there out there but way overpriced or badly by the time your done with this list youll have a hell of a time making it all.LOL, it will be cool to have those weird out of the way parts available though :thumb: --josh
  5. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Nscale ideas...

Realistic street light poles
    Fire plugs
    Parking meters
    Truck/shipping dock/cargo type boxcar loads
  6. stripes

stripes Member

Are these the kind of tools you where looking for Bigsteel ?

7. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

actually,yes they are,how much are those?i might have to check you out when i actually have a layout to put them on!!!but those are pretty much the corect tools.--josh
  8. stripes

stripes Member

Sent you a pm bigsteel. They are $3.24 after your forum discount!

9. MasonJar

One other thing that comes to mind, although it would depend on the expense, is bluestone (slate) sidewalk slabs. Very similar to your patio blocks I imagine, but not as cracked... ;)

However, there may be a much simpler way of making them that would be cheaper than developing a mould and casting in resin... it could preclude any sales for you :( I have not experimented yet, but will soon, since my town will need sidewalks.

Oh, and street lamps! ;)

10. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Cheap, full cast, BNSF Dash 9 "Gull wing" cabs with the 4 window sides, for Athearn & RPP (3 different molds!)
  11. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

There was a character on CSI that was a micro modeler. It would be nice to have his talent... Except for the whole him being a serial killer thing...
  12. stripes

stripes Member

As my site deals with structures and structural details, that is what I an trying to develop.
    Sorry Josh!
    The slate sidewalks sound like something that should go on the list of potentials!!

When I was a plumber, people asked why I did not carry all the parts needed. I used to say that I would be driving a tractor/trailer if I tried to carry everything.

13. MasonJar

After some thought, maybe the slate sidewalks can be done with Hydrocal or other high-density material. My concern would be that resin would not take a stain well. Staining seems to me the best way of colouring something like that, rather than painting. But as long as you are making the moulds...! ;)

14. stripes

stripes Member

Will Pm you Andrew.