Designing A Layout Based On A Single Industry

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Drew1125, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Mike Kieran

Mike Kieran Port Able Railway Company

Marshmallow Factory

Elsewhere on this site is a shortline profile for the Kendallville Terminal Railway (This link is how I came to join this forum). The way that I see it, traffic flow would go like this:

Inbound 3-4 corn syrup tank cars, 1-2 covered hoppers of granulated sugar, 1-2 boxcars of packaging, and even hoppers to bring in coal to supply heat for the marshmallow manufacturing (and maybe to toast them later).

Outbound - 1-2 boxcars of marshmallows
  2. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

Mountain man is right again. On my mainly logging outfit there are 18 delivery locations in my saw mill town. there are the obvious logs in, and lumber out, but there is also machinery to the mill and the car and engine shops, a coal wholesaler, an oil wholesaler, and the company store to be supplied. Outward loads from the company store/ warehouse go to the logging camps to supply them. then there is coal and wood delivered for locomotive fuel. and don't forget the ubiquitous team track.

In a more modern or urban setting, some of that might not be necessary, all the more reason to avoid the modern urban setting.

On my railroad I have two interchanges with standard gauge railroads, and a narrow gauge connection as well, I can add in some bridge traffic if I get desperate.

Bill Nelson