dcc track bus length question

ChadYelland

Jan 26, 2006
Tisdale Sk Canada
if i have a 14ga solid copper track bus can i power it with my digitrax 5amp Ps and comand station (empire builder) from one end? or should i make it central. I'd like to have it at one end for closeness to my programing track otherwise i have to run another pair of wires from the center to the programming track at one end. any recomendations

ChadYelland

Jan 26, 2006
Tisdale Sk Canada
its about 40ft from end to end, feeders on every 6ft or so and every siding and all soldered connections and nearly all track joints are soldered as humidity and indoor temp change very little here in canada. So what do you think? i could isolate a section right in the center of the route,, maybe even a bridge and use it to program...?

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
You are probably OK at 40ft with 14 gauge wire, especially if you are not drawing the full 5 amps most of the time. Checks are a voltage drop under load of less than 0.7 volts from one end to the other, and the quarter test. Lay a quarter across the rails at the far end, and ensure you get an immediate indication of a short circuit.

If either test fails, I would simply parallel a 2nd 14 gauge bus wire rather than rip out and rewire with heavier gauge. Just tie the 2 parallel bus wires together with jumpers (similar to feeder wires) every 10 feet or so.

hope this helps