DCC - Sidings

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
When I have completed the yards on my layout I want to be able to "store" my non-decoder equipped engines in at least one of them. I realize that my DCC will allow me to operate one non-decoder equipped engine. I assume that what would be the best, if I could arrage it, would be to "store" one non-decoder equipped engine on each "dead" track. I would deaden the track just like I would if I were blocking wiring the layout where I would control power to that track with a SPST toggle switch.

Is my thinking correct?

Bob

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Sounds good to me Bob. Wire it the same as cab control with a DPDT switch which will then allow you to power your analog locos with your pre-dcc controller and dcc for the rest

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Bob, did you mean you wanted to use a non-decoder engine to kill the track instead of a switch? Because I don't think it will work like that. The non-decoder won't run but any decoder engines behind it will still be powered.Then again maybe I misunderstood your post.:eek:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think what Bob is saying is that he can run one non-decoder engine at a time and he wants to store the rest on dead tracks.
That will work. We have a layout with a mix of old style wiring and DCC style wiring and we can store the non-decoder locos on dead tracks. Use either on/off switches or power routing turnouts and turn them against the siding.
You can also use it to shut down the DCC locos with those annoying sound units (the ones that turn on again every time we have a short).

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Dave (60103) says it right. I am only able to run one non-decoder engine at a time and I want to be able to keep the others somewhere on the layout without them being powered. I think I prefer the on/off switches to messing with turnouts.

Thanks to all.

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
GREAT. I think I have it all under control now. Many thanks.

Gary, with the changes I made accessing the turntable I have a spur track I can use. I just happened to think that I can also wire the track in the roundhouse too!! That would be perfect!

Bob

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Bob, I am in the process of wiring my layout now, infact after I get off the computer that is where i am heading. This is the way in which I am doing the wiring. I do not have DCC yet, still can not aford it or justify it at this time but in the future will have it, so now it is bolck control. I have a small to med size layout so do not require many blocks. I have a couple of spur tracks that go into industrys, I put insulated joiners past the turnout then used jumper wires from just prior to the turnout to an on/off switch that is placed just beside my track. I used a very small on/off switch mounted on a piece of scrap styrene, painted earth color, drilled a hole in the sub bed and plywood large enough for the bottom of the switch to fit in easily and the wires to go through, mount the styrene to the table top with two small screws, put some scenery material around it (small bushes for example) and you will not even notice it. Then when you put an engine on the spur you just throw the small switch and power off. Ron..

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Ron;

Great idea. I see where I could mount the toggle right next to the throw for the turnout without missing a beat. Great ideas come from the Gauge. I'll have to put little signs all over my layout that say things like: thanks to Gary for the DCC info, thanks to Ron for the spur power idea, thanks to Shamus and Gary for keeping me interested and focused:D :D :D ;) ;) :) :)

Bob