DCC Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Many members of the Gauge family are apparently interested in various aspects of DCC as a part of their model railroading adventure. Would you like to see a section of the Gauge devoted to DCC and moderated by a knowledgeable member of the Gauge?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Most model railroad forums have a DCC section. Those are where I went to get advice on the system I finally purchased.
The real issue is finding a knowleable DCC person who is also willing to take on the moderating responsibility.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Just did a quick search for "DCC". At the moment there are 142 threads on the Gauge containing DCC stuff. (Just for comparison: The track planning section has 'only' 123 threads. And surely everybody agrees that this is an important section.)

So there seems to be a real need for discussing DCC. Like Robin and Shamus (in the 'Board Suggestions' section) said - problem will be to find somebody who is knowledgeable enough to moderate this section.

Just a suggestion: IF such a section would be installed, could it be about 'Wiring and Electrics in General' - of course including DCC, but NOT EXCLUSIVELY about DCC. There are other electronic problems, too - say, signalling, sound installation etc.

Ron

Donn Welton

Aug 27, 2001
Long Island, New York
Visit site
1. I agree with Ron that a DCC section should be general to DCC users and include electric and wiring. From experience I know that once you get a specific system and have difficulties with its programing, decoders,etc., you will go to the group dedicated to that system. See the Yahoo NCE-DCC group for example, which has hundreds of posts each month and a couple of electrical engineers and computer wizards helping to administer the system.

2. Having said that, there is one marvelous web page that has almost all the basic information that one needs for DCC operation. It is run by Loy's Toys, a company well worth supporting, by the way, and is found at
http://www.loystoys.com/dcc-topics.html

Cheers,
Donn

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
It really won't matter to me, as I am a regular DC-cab control railroader [ for life, whatever is left of that].

A separate section for DCC, I would not visit anyway. In other forums [like Atlas ] , that have a separate DCC section, there's usually a spill-out about every month, into the "non-DCC" area. It usually starts when a beginner asks whether DCC is necessary or essential. :eek:

This spill-out invariably sparks yet another redundant, long, bitter and divisive war of words, between DCC and DC adherents. That would be too bad if it happened here....especially over, and over, and over.......:(

I like RailRon's suggestion on a wider range of electrical/electronic topics, like sound & signalling, but I somehow doubt you'd get much posted on signals for instance.

regards / Mike

I don't currently have DCC.
However, I don't see any other way than DCC to achieve realistic synchronized steam sound.
I think a DCC section on this forum would be very interesting and have considerable readership.
I'm not convinced that it should include all electrical issues, such as non-DCC block and turnout wiring, for example.

:) :) :)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I voted for a separate section, since I am planning on getting into DCC. This will be my first layout, first wiring etc. and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions, so for purely selfish reasons I think it would be great!:D :D :D

As far as the bitter debates which Mike R mentioned I've seen some of those too, but it seems to me that a separate DCC section is one way of avoiding that, since it would be for "the converted" so to speak. If DCC questions spill into another area the thread can simply be moved to the appropriate section, as moderators already do on occasion.

Another way of avoiding these debates is the great way that everyone on the Gauge conducts themselves. :) :) People respecting other people and their opinions, sharing our great hobby etc. There used to be Scale wars too - how silly is that!

cheers
:D Val

chapmon

Dec 29, 2002
Longview, TX
Visit site
Shamus and group:

Having been a DCC user for some time now, I think that it is an excellent idea.

However, I've been reading data from other forums (Yahoo), and it is my observation that the guys on this forum are a lot friendlier and more down to earth. There are some good people on the other forum, but sometimes when a beginner asks a question, you can almost "see" someone peering down from their intellectual perch.

I think this is one of the best forums for all subjects I've ever read, and I think the people are the friendliest.

Mike:D :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Val,

I am here because of the way people conduct themselves. I asked a simple electrical question a few months ago on another N scale forum and not only was I in the middle of an very nast debate, but I never got my question answered. Some were downright rude because I said I wanted to get my feet wet with DC before ever considering DCC. There is no doubt that we could all learn a lot and it would all be in one place if there were a separate DCC section here.

D:D N

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I have absolutely no interest in DCC but I'm with Esdays in voting for a separate section for it because .....

1) It can be a very complex subject for some people and a knowlegable moderator could shed much light on the subject.

2) It will keep the info all in one place therefore it'll be easily found.

3) It is in fact, worthy of a column of it's own.

Errol

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I voted for the separate section, although I generally just ignore the headings and go through the "view new posts" button. It would certainly help if I suddenly decided to go DCC (if someone gives me a winning lottery ticket) and had to read them all at once.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Okay, I have to admit that I know nothing about DCC what so ever, the only thing I do know is no matter what you use DC or DCC unless you are using dead frogs (Insulated) on your points (Turnouts) some form of block wiring will still be needed otherwise shorts will occur between facing points.

As for synchronised sound in locomotives, this can be obtained without the use of DCC.

I am not against DCC in any way, and enjoy watching loco’s running at my local club using DCC. However, I cannot see the point in my home layout (None moveable) using DCC as I only ever run two trains at a time.

Judging by the amount of people who would like to see a DCC forum in operation here at the gauge, I will ask the powers that be.

A moderator with adequate knowledge of all aspects of DCC would also be needed before any implementation of such forums can be made. Therefore if you feel you are qualified enough to take on the responsibility of moderator for such a forum, please respond by adding your name here please.

Shamus

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
It might be salient to consider, that after one full week, only 36 members out of a thousand, have voted one way or the other.

This may indicate the topic being a non-starter for the majority of gauge members, especially the frequent posters. :eek:
Perhaps the DCC-forum-lobby is already adequately served elsewhere ?;) :eek:

Enjoy the rest of the weekend
regards / Mike:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by Mike R
It might be salient to consider, that after one full week, only 36 members out of a thousand, have voted one way or the other.
Mike,

It would appear so, until you check and find that a good 40% of those that are registered have never posted anything and many, many more older members that have only posted a few messages or haven't posted anything in the past year or two.

I would veture a guess that there are probably less than 100 members that are active here and participate on a regular basis.

I'm basing that speculation on having checked the first few pages of the member's directory.:) I kinda lost track of the tabulations around page 3 :rolleyes:

Have a great Easter one and all,

Don

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Don, I believe you are right, there doesn't seem to be that many active members.
Wonder why there's so much excitement about reaching 1000 members...:confused:

Back when I was in a service club, about 20% of the members did all the work tasks & project jobs....90% , however, went to the dinner meetings, and voted in the annual officers. :) ;) :) ;)

I wish we could get a bit of that Arizona weather up here, this cold & wet has gone on too long. :(

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone.
regards / Mike :D

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
Although I have no wish to progress into DCC, I have voted FOR the separate discussion. With all the expertise contained within this bulletin board, it would be a very useful tool for those who are interested in advancing their knowledge and modelling skills.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I wish we could get a bit of that Arizona weather up here, this cold & wet has gone on too long.
Mike,

Eat your heart out;) ;) Nice, but we are going to be below average this weekend, but still in the 80's :D :D come on down and join the rest of your fellow Canadians. Just about every fourth or fifth car I see has an Onterio licence plate. Just as a point of interest. I frequently go trap shooting. All local clubs here play the National Anthem before a trap or skeet meet. In the winter they not only play the U. S. Anthem, but the Canadian one as well.

Go to "members", set the order to "when registered" and go to the last page first. See where there are people registered for over two years that have not posted anything, or just a few. Then you come to Shamus or Catt! or N Gauger and see the difference.:rolleyes: It's easy to see who's active and who isn't.

Take care,

Don

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The 36 members who voted on this topic are probably the same members who vote on all the other topics posted, and the photo contests. I don't recall ever seeing much greater response on any topic.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.