DCC or Ready modern Yard Switcher?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by MarcO, Mar 16, 2008.

1. MarcO

MarcO Member

Hello all im looking for a dcc ready yard switcher. I model modern west coast (SP, UP, BNSP). I pretty good and modding frames if need be. Let me know if you have any tips thanks!

No I cant afford that sweet brass one in MR this month haha.

2. nolatron

nolatron Member

3. MarcO

MarcO Member

yes thats the first one ive seen, not sure how i missed it as im a big Kato fan, thanks.
  4. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a DCC-ready switcher in N-scale... especially a modern one.

You could look at the ConCor MP15's which are definitely more modern than the NW2.

The Proto N SW900/1200 switchers were good runners, more modern than the NW2, but again, not DCC/DCC ready - and more importantly, not available. Although they do show up at swap meets.
  5. revjerwayne

revjerwayne New Member

What about the Atlas MP15DC? It is DCC ready and if yiu add a TCS decoder it runs very well.

6. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

The trick would be finding one... Walthers is out of stock or disc. when sold out on most road names, so I suspect this is going to be the case with most distributors.

They're re-stocking some in late August, though, so if he can hang on 'til then... ;)
  7. nolatron

nolatron Member

8. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Here is a procedure if you want to install a decoder in a Life-Like SW9-1200
    LifeLike SW9-1200

I purchased the SW9-1200 2 years ago. I have to tweak it ( contact springs ) and add a micro-trains coupler. After that , it works smoothly now.
    I didn't install a DCC decoder.

Good yard switchers are rare in N scale. I'm looking forward to purchase the Canadian Pacific MP15-DC next suimmer

9. dwight77

dwight77 Member

I just bought a Kato NW2 and then bought the Digitrax DN123K3 decoder from Brooklyn Locomotive. It is a drop-in decoder, I made the installation, programmed the loco number, and it works great.
  10. revjerwayne

revjerwayne New Member

11. dwight77

dwight77 Member

Brooklyn Locomotive Works ( Brooklyn Locomotive Works -- Your N Scale Source ) has the Kato NW-2 in stock ($67.50) and the Digitrax DN123K3 in stock ($22.75).
    I have had excellent service from BLW and found their prices to be very competitive. Kline's looks like they have a good shop also....I was not familiar with them...thanks for the reference.
  12. jmurphy148

jmurphy148 Member

I have an NW-2. It's a bit noisy which is a surprise for a Kato loco. I changed one coupler to Micro-Trains coupler but for some reason I can't seem to get the second one right. Does anyone know someone who services loco's and can mount couplers?