Dating rolling stock

itdincor

Dec 30, 2006
sure this is a problem for many newbies, such as
  1. myself
    [/LIS
    T]
  1. .

Where can one find the information to place the correct style of rolling stock for an era modeled? The manufacturers and distributors I've seen thus far rarely inform as to when a particular car was used, though a few do.

It was fairly easy for me to find a PDF concerning useage years for trucks, arch bar and the like, but so far I've had no luck concerning the same for cars.

As an example, I intend to model some where between the 20s and very early 40s. There must be a source of information telling one when a particular style of car was made and used, a clearing house or data base, but I don't know where to find it. While I'm not intending to be absolutely precise, I do need a better standard than "it looks old".

Is this the sort of thing one can find as a member of the NMRA? If not, then where? I'm sure I am not alone with this difficulty.

itdincor

Dec 30, 2006
Sorry about the format. I have no idea what happened. Everything shrunk to the left, a thin line. Never have seen this on any web site before.

N

nachoman

I am pretty sure there was a thread about this on here about a month ago. lemme search...

kevin

itdincor

Dec 30, 2006
Thank you very much, Nacho man. I'm still feeling my way around the forum, and don't yet know where things are. And while searching, one must use the absolutely correct keyword. When that's for a thread the name of which you do not know, or for terminology you don't know, it can be confusing.

At least for me!

Anyhow, great; it's a good start, I've bookmarked it, and you have my thanks.

Ken