Daedalus-class battlecruiser BC-304 (from Jaybats)

gogu13

Gogu
Sep 17, 2009
Romania, Cluj-Napoca
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone,

I always had a crush for this ship, so more than a year ago (i think it was around the end of 2021) i decided it's time for me to build it - the only papermodel available being the one from Jaybats. I finished it at the end of May (this year) and did not bring myself about to share the pics until now.
I saved all Jaybats' files (from his site) in 2009/2010, when i started building papermodels, so i could go back and retrieve it from my old laptop.

About the model: it's difficult... i know that in a previous post of mine i said that papermodels are basic shapes that need to be glued together... i take that back, double-take that back!
this model proved to be difficult for a couple of reasons:
1. the model has been unfolded wrong in some places (like the head piece) and some folds/gluing tabs don't really make sense - it could maybe have been unfolded in simpler shapes and some test-building could've been employed. I'm not bashing Jaybats' work (i really praise him for his models, some of them being the only versions in existence), i'm just pointing out some flaws i encountered, either due to the model itself or due to my skills.
2. I printed the model half the initial size (2 pages/sheet) which made some of the folds/gluing steps even more tedious - did this to save some space on my limited shelve space
3. in order to give it more personality, i opted to print the model twice, and glue most of the hull elements again, to give it a more tridimensional look (something which is sometimes lacking in papermodel). this almost doubled the build time, as it required cutting and gluing a whole lot more elements on the model (see 1st and 2nd pics).
*As a sidenote, i plan to redo an Imperial Star Destroyer (some old Japanese papermodel) using the same technique, for added 3D effect - i don't know when i'll do it, although it's a simple model, that would normally be done in 8-12 hours
4. I filled the whole model with cardboard pieces, to make it a bit heave and give it some structural resistance (pics not included, but you get the point), also adding a bit of time to the overall build time

** Also, as another side-note, the model (Daedalus) seems to be a bit stretched (lengthwise) compared to its movie counterpart (minor observation).

Back to the model itself: i worked on it for almost 1.5 years. i tried to document the build (when i started in 2021) but as i worked on it on and off, i forgot to take pics after a while.
For the head piece (where elements did not line properly), i used additional pieces of paper to hide the gaps.
The model itself is made out of several sections which can all be glued together in the end (if you're patient enough) or can be glued as you finish each section - i opted for the 1st option and only put the model together at the very end which (in a way) was satisfying.

Let me know your thoughts and apologies for the lack of pics during the build itself.
Have a great WE!!
E

Attachments

• 20211012_235710.jpg
    20211012_235710.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211013_003950.jpg
    20211013_003950.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230514_231838.jpg
    20230514_231838.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230514_231841.jpg
    20230514_231841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230515_235426.jpg
    20230515_235426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230515_235437.jpg
    20230515_235437.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230515_235448.jpg
    20230515_235448.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
My wife is the StarGate fan, I never got into it aside from the movie, but the model looks nice. And you defiantly did a great job with it.

Reactions: gogu13

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
She turned out great! I agree, some foldings are a bit "exotic". I once built the stealth Viper and almost broke my fingers. :biggrin:

Despite this his models are buildable and he provided the first and in some cases the only version of a certain object available. :)

Reactions: zathros and gogu13

gogu13

Gogu
Sep 17, 2009
Romania, Cluj-Napoca
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone!

Thanks for your kind words!

@micahrogers - not a big fan of the series either; i missed watching it in my early years (aka as a teen) and now i don't have the mental capacity to go through a 10 season series. I only watched the SG Atlantis but i liked the Daedalus and promised myself i'll do it one day

@Revell-Fan - i saw a build thread of the Colonial 1 (on this forum) and i would want to build that as well, but most probably in a very distant future - for some reason i got hooked up on airplanes now (don't know why).

Have a great one!
E

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
As far as I am concerned, the changes you have made and corrected far exceed the 10% change that states "This is a new model". You redid this model. If you saved the template files and wanted to post them to the forum, with a nod to JayBats, who was just trying to get models out there, knowing there were defects, feel free to.

This is a new model in my eyes. I'm a big fan of the series and of this ship. Go for it! :)

gogu13

Gogu
Sep 17, 2009
Romania, Cluj-Napoca
www.facebook.com
As far as I am concerned, the changes you have made and corrected far exceed the 10% change that states "This is a new model". You redid this model. If you saved the template files and wanted to post them to the forum, with a nod to JayBats, who was just trying to get models out there, knowing there were defects, feel free to.

This is a new model in my eyes. I'm a big fan of the series and of this ship. Go for it! :)
I did not (digitally) alter the original file: i printed JayBats' model twice and at half the scale (using the printing menu in the Adobe Reader, set to 2 pages/sheet). One copy was used to build the model, the other was used to add the additional panels. Remaining bits and pieces form the 2nd copy were used to hide the gaps.
Also i suck at digital drawings and 3d modelling (tried and failed a couple of times)
Thus i don't think i really made a new model, maybe practically improved the existing one...

The best i can do in this case is search and share the originals if they are not available here and if allowed / needed.
Let me know!
Have a great one
E

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Have not seen this ship on action, but that's a great looking effort on the bench.

There's shades of design from all kinds of ships in this one.

look forward to seeing how your Star Destroyer turns out too

Reactions: gogu13

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You did what we call "Greebling". You enhanced the rinted pieces with cut out, which really makes a model come to life. Jaybats was in college when he made his models He gave me permission to host them. If you just grebled them, then the pictures will inspire others to show the potential of this, and many of his other models. :)