Crazy Talk!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by tetters, Feb 4, 2008.

Should I install a double slip or leave it alone?

1. NO! What are you nuts?

3 vote(s)
  2. YES! Absolutely...break out the hammer and chisel!

22 vote(s)
  1. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I've seen his method. Let me know how it works out for you.
  2. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

The votes seem to be going in the YES direction, I haven't read all the posts, but I think it looks pretty awesome, and well built, if it fits into the layout, DEFINATELY go for it if you want.
  3. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Maybe a little late, but if you have any concerns about is really close to the edge of your layout...

I did vote yes
  4. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Not really too worried...So far the stuff I've built is pretty reliable. (...pats self on back...) There now I've gone and put a hex on the whole damn deal.

Actually, I was thinking about leaving a 1/4 relief in some areas when I install my masonite facia. That and install items like power/telephone/light poles in areas where things get a little close to the edge. That is still no guarantee, as I had a caboose roll off the table as a result of a rather violent "bump" several weeks ago and it was two inches from the edge. Luckily, the caboose was not severely damaged and didn't break.

That was from a 5 foot drop onto a concrete floor too! Eeeek! :eek:

Also still, its not like I'll have stuff rolling through there at Main Line speeds. Most traffic in the yeard is only moving at a crawl.
  5. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

What I did on a previous layout, and will do on my current one in spots, was put a piece of plexi glass in between the layout and a piece of hardboard for a fascia.
  6. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Go for it, but I would have to agree with Doctorwayne, it would look so much better out on the Main Line...:thumb:
  7. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

The question you should of asked is: "Has anyone seen my Dremel?"
  8. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

If you were a 'prototype' model railroader, you would ask yourself, "Is that what a real railroad would do?" I suspect real railroads like to keep it simple and thus would eschew a DSS unless there was absolutely no other option available. However, if you are 'just' into enjoying your hobby and having fun, go-fer it and git 'er done!