CPR Lake tug finished

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Glen Haasdyk, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Beautiful work Glen!
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Glen, looks great! Is that on your home layout or on a club?

4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW that looks really cool!!! AWESOME Job on it :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  5. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

It's good to see interest in waterfront, and ships, boats, and tugs. Nicely done!! :thumb: :thumb:
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Good-looking tugboat, Glen. I also enjoyed your description of the construction: plan enough to have a good sense of what you want and, generally, how to get it, but don't sweat the details. Everything came together beautifully. :thumb: :thumb: :-D
    Next time you need to do a soldering job similar to those railings, pieces of wet tissue or paper towel work great as heat sinks - simply tear the tissue into suitably-sized pieces, wet it thoroughly, then wad it up and place it on the joint to be protected. It can be formed around details soldered onto larger pieces, too, and if you use a large-enough soldering iron, you can work very close to an already-soldered joint - the extra heat will allow you to make the new joint before all of the water boils out of the adjacent tissue. The tissue also works if you need to solder something like a handrail that's already installed in a plastic model: that's how I assembled the ladder on the the front side of Beeg Boy's tender. Work in plastic does need to be fairly light, and done quickly with a small iron, though.

7. sumpter250

Glen, PM'd you a soldering technique.

Dr. Wayne, Never thought of wet tissue as a heat sink..that's cool!!

(pun intended)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  8. Glen Haasdyk

Thanks guys the pic is from my home layout and it's small (2'X1') harbour.

Thanks to both Sumpter250 and Wayne for the soldering advice. It'll come in handy for my other projects.
    I'm probably going to add a few more deck details like ropes and chains since it does look a little bare right now.
  9. TonyG2

TonyG2 Member

Really nice model.

Slightly off topic but does anyone do a model of a Great Lakes Freighter?

Kinda like this

10. Glen Haasdyk

I'm pretty sure there is one, but I can't remember the name of the company that makes it.
    From my memory you can buy the bow and stern sections and then buy the center sections seprately so you can make a bulk freighter as long or short as you want.
  11. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Here's a link to one source of Great Lake freighter models in HO

Glen, your tug would look great helping to push one of those big boats that didn't have the extra systems for harbor navigation. :thumb:

12. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Yup. Sylvan Scale Models does a nice 3' freighter resin kit, with an extra section for the middle if you want to stretch it even longer.
  13. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Great job Glen!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
    That was a lot of work but the end result is really sweet!
    In fact, that whole area looks pretty SWEET!!!
  14. sumpter250

I've met, and had several conversations with the guys from Sylvan. Good people, and they produce some excellent kits!