Couple of problem solvers for beginners

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by weft1630, Oct 28, 2010.

1. weft1630

weft1630 New Member

For my 1st paper rocket model I selected the Viking 10 from Niels Paper Models site. Small in 1:96 scale, I resized it to 1:144 (the scale of my 4 lighthouse models).

Problem 1. I couldn't roll a decent tube. So I took a wood dowel and wrapped it in 20# paper to the required diameter. Then to stiffen the thick walled tube even more I added a fewer drops of thin CA glue. Hardened, it was safe to manhandle, easy to cut to length and sand the ends square with a True Sander.

Problem 2. I couldn't wrap & glue the rocket body skin without marring it. Obviously this problem a lack of skill, but I wanted to complete this simple project, not put it aside until I developed the necessary technique sometime in the indefinite future. I covered the paper skinning with Scotch Magic Mending Tape, tapping the skin to the tube without glue. The tape is thin, rubs down clear, gives the tube a hard, slight satin sheen. In 1:144 scale you have to squint real hard to see the tape seams.

My Viking 10 is no prize winner, but it is actually built! Hopefully I eventually acquire the skills necessary to build without these crutches.

Thanks to Niels Paper Models for the free kit. Right now I'm reading a biography about Goddard, and will be building at least one, if not both, of the Goddard kits offered on Niels paper Models site.

Cheers, Morris.
  2. drifter83

drifter83 New Member

..... just stopped in ....nice place you got here..
  3. SWA2873

SWA2873 New Member

Yeah. I second that and thanks for the tip.