Continuing "A Day on the A & T"

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Continuing a “Day on the A & T” finds all three of the daily (except Sunday) trains out on the main. At Alpine the Southern Pacific East and Westbound passenger and freights have respectively drop off folks and freight headed for points South on the A & T. So, OT-1 (the Southbound ore train) is holding on the Jacqueline Heights passing siding, with it’s empty ore cars, it will stay in-the-hole until TP-1 (Southbound passenger train) passes. Not far behind but moving a bit slower is the “Terlingua Turn” with a string of empty stock cars for the Big Bend Stock Yards and a mixed bag of empty and loaded reefers for Smith’s produce. It’s about 10:30am as “the Turn” passes Jacqueline Heights and barks out onto “Whiskey Falls” above the W.F. dam. At this point it has reached the summit of the 4% out of Alpine.................

Attachments

• tturnonbdg.jpg
    tturnonbdg.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 152

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
TP-1

TP-1 has overtaken OT-1 and is now drifting down grade past a couple of unimpressed “Scale Men” at the “Cat Pause Mine”..................

Attachments

• tp1cp.jpg
    tp1cp.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 153

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
OT-1 Arrives

OT-1 has reached the “Cat Pause” as the fireman smokes out the locals, the engineer gets ready to drop the caboose and work the mine......................

Attachments

• otcp.jpg
    otcp.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 151

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Loads for MTY's

OT-1's Conductor offers a wave to the Scale Men, who remain unimpressed. In the cab of No.6 2-8-0 the Engineer couples up to the loaded ore cars which he will swap for the empties he brought. He will also pick-up the empty gondola that delivered coal a few days before. The coal is delivered twice weekly for the mine’s boiler........................

Attachments

• swapcatp.jpg
    swapcatp.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 140

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
T-Turn Passes

The Terlingua Turn has reached the mine now. As the Turn passes a couple of cowboys have stepped out on the rear platform of the Drover’s caboose to get some air. They raise their hands in a futile greeting to the still undisturbed Scale Men. Almost noon now and shortly things will be getting very bust at Terlingua, that’s it for this week..................

Attachments

• turncp.jpg
    turncp.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 139

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D

Hey Cinnibar, I have an idea for you! (I'm just full of ideas today!) That first picture looks almost like a painting.. you could angle it and put it on an easel! That might look interesting! ;)

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Thanks

Arlaghan,

You know I thought the same thing, I guess it's the frame. Alas, I'm not handy enough with a computer to angle it and put it on an easel but it's a cool idea.

Tyson,

I got that Kato "Power Unit". It is about the size of an ore car but not as tall. It should make a neat Class 'A' Climax. It's going to need all the weight I can get on it to pull anything but we'll see.:rolleyes:

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Steam

Thanks for the comments guys.

Tyson,

Check out a picture of the "Power Unit" here,

http://www.nscalesupply.com/KAt/KAT-11-106.html

Like I mentioned it's just a little bit longer than an ore car, it's tiny. It runs good but has a pretty high starting speed. I lightly lubed it with some Labelle grease and oil and that helped a lot. It has one traction tire on one of the trucks, only one truck is powered. I added some stick on R/C weights and that helped a bunch. My plan is to turn it into a Class "A' Climax. I want to use it as a yard switcher at the Edward's Sawmill. It will never pull more than 5 empty flats. I'm not ready to say it's a sucess yet the Climax shell I'm going to build will have to be out of brass and lead to add enough weight. We'll see.................. :rolleyes:

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Your Coaches

Absnut,

Thanks! I left some comments about N steam at your coach bashing thread. Those cars are REALLY SOMETHING! Excellent workmanship. The neat thing is now you have something VERY unique. The truss rods added the final touch. :D :D :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Top notch modelling and photography Cinnibar :thumb: :thumb:

You've captured the real feel and atmosphere of mountain mining.
I particularly like the 'eyeball level' viepoint of your camera.

Errol