confused

Rogerjr

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
ok my question is why is it so hard to find dash 9's some look like dash 8's and does kato make then in n scale? thanx for any input

Roger

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Kato does (or did) make Dash 9's in N scale (http://www.katousa.com/n-scale/C44-9W.html). They're hard to find in hobby shops because Kato hasn't released any new ones since January of 2001. If you want them, your best bet is Ebay or something similar. There's almost always some listed on Ebay. The word I got directly from Kato was that they have no plans to run another production of Dash 9's, but based on their popularity it wouldn't surprise me if they ran some more in the next couple of years.

Atlas makes a Dash 8, which, as you stated, looks very similar to a Dash 9. The biggest difference is that the Dash 8 is a 4 axle loco and the Dash 9 is a 6 axle loco. I'm sure there are plenty of other differences too, but I'll let others tell you about those.

If you can't find any Dash 9's, my advice would be to wait until later this year and get some of the AC4400's that Kato is preparing to release in N scale. They're obviously not the same engines, but they'd make a VERY nice substitute. I'll definitely be getting a few of them.

lock4244

Nov 10, 2003
Scarborough, ON
Visit site
Originally posted by Agatheron
Any word if Kato may be doing a re-release of the C44-9W?
They will eventually, but probably not for several years since the AC4400's are comming. I also noticed that Kato is doing an SD38-2 in HO... I wonder if that'll lead to an N scale one down the road?

Mike

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by Agatheron
Any word if Kato may be doing a re-release of the C44-9W?

I asked the same question directly to Kato and the response I got from them in an e-mail was that they had no plans to do another run of the Dash 9's.

With that said though, given their popularity, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they DID do another release. As Mike said though, it may be a while since they're releasing the AC4400's this year.