concor engines? sw1200 cow & calf switcher

alphanumeric

Jun 6, 2004
well.. hopefully some of u guys can help me out.. I spotted powered and non powered set of switchers on ebay.. with the CSX roadname to go along with my new layout... they are only 40$ buy it now.. I thought it was a good deal..but it looks like thats the going price for these 2 units.

questions are.. is concor any good? the grahpics on the shells look kind of bachmann\life like'ish.. they also have the old school couplers on them.. anyone know if they are upgradable to the new MT couplers? I dont care if they a strong pullers, just want them to "look good" I just wish both were powered.. oh well =)

oh ya here are the pics

43_1_b.JPG

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,That locomotive was first made for Atlas back in the 70s(?) It ran ok for that era..I am not sure if the unit has been upgraded or not..It was made by Rivarossi(sp?) for Atlas.

alphanumeric

Jun 6, 2004
what is the main difference between the 1200 and 1500? do you have pics of yours? if life like makes a CSX road name..or something I like, I will go wtih 2 powered units of those.. im not thrilled of having a dummy unit, with no cab... on the concor.. and from what I have seen in pictures of the concor.. it seems to have toys "R" us life like and bachmann paint..

alphanumeric

Jun 6, 2004
it is said, that the life likes has hte best switcher for N scale.. I have heard this from a couple different people.

in the future I will prolly go with 2 poward switchers, prolly life likes

I owned a couple of sets of these cow/calfs (Atlas, but same model).

Indeed, the calf didn't "roll" well because it was simply a "cow" chassis without the motor and gears (and there were no needle point bearings in those days!). A powered cow chassis could be placed under the "calf" body to power it if necessary.

I now run the Life Like SW1200s and, believe me, these little beauties run rings around the "first generation" Rivorrossi/Atlas/Con Cor version which was a lot noisier and rougher. Don't waste your money when you could buy a current technology version from LL!

alphanumeric

Jun 6, 2004
ok well I got my cow and calf today in the mail.. and I am not happy.. the paint looks like Toys R Us Bachmann & Lifelikes.. its really generic compaired to my Spectrum and atlas CSX colors!

right out of the box.. the trucks off the powered cow fell off.. and they just simply snap back on.. also 1 hand rail was broke. and the top shell fell right off when I picked it up..

and the calf.. oh man.. its ugly w\o the cab and the motorless trucks with gears inside of it, like Gavin mentioned.. are not free flowing wheels..

but for.. I think I paid 30bux for it? and if it was weathered, it could look OKAY..

but in my book I dont like ConCor now