Completed Powerplant Bash

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Well....I've completed my N scale Walther powerplant with some minor bashing.

This is the standard Northern Power & Light kit with these additions:

1.) One-story side addition -- the piece sticking out of the side is half of the Model Power army munitions depot.
2.) Side wall vent (grey squares)
3.) Two roof smoke stacks.
4.) Large machinery added to roof -- not sure what this is but a plant near me has one
5.) Custom signage
6.) Window glazing made from quilter's patern plastic -- with panes removed
7.) Full interior -- you can't see the interior unless it's lit, so you'll have to wait for that...but I posted some previews on a previous thread.

I think the only other thing I may do to it is add some rust streaks coming down from the roof vents.

Attachments

• power8.jpg
    power8.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 139
  • power9.jpg
    power9.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 137
  • power3.jpg
    power3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 134
  • power2.jpg
    power2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 135
  • power6.jpg
    power6.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 132

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Niiiiiiice! The weathering is subtle but very effective. The missing windows were a great touch! It would look great on my Penn Central layout as the recession hits! :)
Ralph

kadidle

Nov 10, 2005
Vaughn MT
www.rail-exchange.com
I agree with anyone else, and the "add-on" is perfect, I have yet to see an industrial building like a power plant go very long without something getting added on. You did a beautiful job there as well!

pontiacsforever

Mar 16, 2005
Victoria, BC
Looks great, I like the extra smokestacks and the side addition! This kit is great, as it lends itself to so many uses, not only as a powerplant.

BTW, I have the same building that I'm still in the process of painting and then I'll tackle the interior. It's going to be a microbrewery. In case anyone has any good suggestions on how to incorporate all the various equipment a brewery needs on the second floor of the building (there are two distinct floors as I put in a removable ceiling/floor), I'd appreciate it. First floor is an office/shop and a receiving/shipping area with track for one boxcar.

Looking forward to seeing the interior shots, Frank.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great job on the bash, Frank!
The detail & weathering look super!
I particularly like the missing window panes...nice touch!
:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I'm building an old time emporium (I think) out of cardboard and I'm using a plastic knitters gridwork to fabricate the windows. I've not heard of quilters pattern plastic, but your glazing looks so good, I'm going out right now to find some. Your whole model is fantastic, way better than anything I will ever make. Good work.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
The plastic I used is for making quilting templates. You can get it at almost any fabric store. It's a very thin plastic -- but very strong. It's not clear though -- it's like those hazy old factory windows...it will blur out almost everything behind it. In this case, that's good, because it blurs my interior and makes it look like theres more going on than there really is. That way, I only had to really detail by the door opening and fill the rest with "shapes" of plastic that blur out and look right. It's almost like a milk carton, but not as white and it's more transparent. Nice thing is, it diffuses light really well and looks great lit up. You can have a relatively small light source and it really makes it look like the light is spread evenly around.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
BTW....when you see this in the store..it will look very white. It's really not that white when used. So you may not see it if you're looking for something relatively clear when you're shopping.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I found the plastic with grids on it. It says clear, but I assume that means translucent as opposed to opaque. What do you use to remove the grid lines, eraser, solvent, or what? Thanks

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
I didn't get the plastic with a grid on it. They make it without the grid as well. Sorry.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Nothing to be sorry about, thanks for the info, my closest crafts store only had the ones with gridwork, but one of the packages (of four) was opened, and contained 4 with grids, and one without. I will look for it at other stores, thanks again.