Comparative sizes of North American vs. UK locos

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Buddog said:
Rob here are those two pics one of 6167 taken in Guelph in 2004 and the other of 6213 taken in Toronto in 2005. I tend to plan all my trips around locations where Steam locomotives are, my wife and I were in Ottawa this summer to see a Shay running at the museum of Science and Technology, and while in the area we went over to Hull Quebec to ride behind a Swiss Steamer that runs excursions.

Tom

Thanks, Tom -- I appreciate seeing those pics! I'll have to make it down to the CNE grounds & see the 6213. Cheers, Rob

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Especially the GWR and subsequently WR David, if I remember the Great Western only built one 4-6-2?, they never felt the need to build pacifics because the Castle's and King's (both 4-6-0's) seemed to do the job for them (although, being a taff, I think that was down to the fine Welsh steam coal :) :) )

One difference I seem to notice however, is that it seems that many NA steam locomotives are just 2 cylinder simples, whereas there were many 4 cylinder locomotives in the UK

Graham

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A 4-cylinder compound is generally more fuel-efficient but more complicated than a 2-cylinder simple, correct?

At least regarding US vs. continental Europe... European engines are designed for fuel efficiency, as fuels cost more there. American engines are optimized for low maintenance, as repair shops are farther apart and runs are longer, but the US has more fuel reserves. This is true in the diesel era, and I'll bet it was true in the steam era as well. 4-cylinder engines were more common in Europe than North America.

Given this, I'll assume that the British situation was/is more similar to the European one.