Comments on the MDC 2-8-0 or Model Power 2-8-2 for Colorado RRs?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by riograndefan, Aug 18, 2003.

1. riograndefan

riograndefan New Member

I'm interested in trying to model a Colorado road during the 1920-40s, particularly branchline operations. From what I've seen, I'm not sure that there are many ready to run locomotives out there for this. I have noticed the MDC 2-8-0 and the Model Power 2-8-2. These may be a possibility for this time period, since I believe that some of these Baldwins were run through this time period on the Rio Grande, and I think that the Mikado came on line in the early '20s. Anyone have any experience with these engines, good, bad or indifferent? Any other suggestions? I just don't see anything else out there right now.

2. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

I ve got just 1 engine to add and its the best one.
    The Bachman spectrum 2-8-0
    Its on a scale of 1-10 a solid 9.75.
    It would look really good steamin in colorada circa 1920's :)
  3. riograndefan

riograndefan New Member

Good suggestion! I'll go ahead and do some checking for decal sets and see what I can find. Thanks!

4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I agree with Tileguy. I have one of those 2-8-0's and love it. It is a great puller.
  5. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi Ed,

There are some great running Bachmann 280 out there but many of them had problems. Hopefully you can purchase yours from a local hobby shop and test run it first. I have several MDC 280s and they run beautiful. I also have several Kato mikes and never had a problem with any of them. Hope this helps.

6. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

The bachman are great have two but they do have some problems so check them out first.........:D rich
  7. riograndefan

riograndefan New Member

Just a quick question.....for those of you who have cautioned me about the Bachmann 2-8-0, do those comments apply to the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, as well? According to the NTrak steam book, these are supposed to be quite good.

Just curious....

8. garyn

garyn Member

I think they do mean the SPECTRUM 2-8-0.

I have 2 of them, one is going back for repair/replacement.

I also have 2 more on order. Shows how much I like them. Well and there is nothing else in a decent 2-8-0.
  9. absnut

absnut Member

I have three of the Spectrum 2-8-0's with nary a problem.