Coffee Table Ho and N Lay-out

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by waredbear, Apr 23, 2007.

1. waredbear

waredbear Member

Surprise #3

I didn't find out until I got home but there were seven more cars hiding under the cover of the lid to this set.

2. waredbear

waredbear Member

Surprise #4

Then there was the box of goodies. I started laughing when I looked inside. He kind of looked at me and asked "what"? I picked up one of the Grey bridge pillars and told him that I was looking for these in the hobby shop when we met. Fortunately they didn't have any because you are giving me a bunch of them.

and the bag of track...

which is a combination of both HO and N.

The guy then turns and starts going through the HO box. I kind of look at him and he tells me that I can have it too.

That box contained....
    these two dummy units with no back wheels.

and these two powered units.

These hold a special meaning because my very first train back when I was 7 or 8 was a Sante Fe unit. I told my wife that I would get another one.
  3. waredbear

waredbear Member

Surprise #5

Then the rolling stock started...well rolling out...

4. waredbear

waredbear Member

Surprise #6

A couple of powerless trollies

A pile of track

Some rerailers and several left and right powered turn outs, and a couple of bridges.

The bottom of the box holds a building, wooden trestle pieces, and a box of tiny people.
  5. waredbear

waredbear Member

Surprise #7

A close-up of the box of little army men...oh yea!

and lastly...whew...a RXR crossing with moving arms, lights, and a dinging building

I load this up and then he asks if I would be interested in a 4x8 sheet of plywood that has some N track attached to it? Yes!! The track is mostly destroyed but it does have a couple of powered turn-outs, a rerailer, and a power input connection. There are also a bunch of power switches for the turn-outs a couple of power supplies, nails, track joiners, etc, etc, etc....

Overall...I think I did pretty good.

What do you think?

In His Service,:)
  6. scottcn

scottcn Member

I think you're going to need a bigger coffee table!

- Scott
  7. beamish

beamish HO & Steam Engineer

I need a guy like that to find me in the hobby shop. :) maybe someday.
  8. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

So how's the table coming?
  9. GN.2-6-8-0

GN.2-6-8-0 Member

Makes me think back to the time i walked into my LHS and found a box of H.O stuff on the counter with a sign saying make a offer.
    So I asked the owner of the store ....had known him for a number of years whats the highest bid so far? 25 bucks he says oh! says I....tell yeah what' I'll bump that up to 50 bucks.
    See ol' Val was a master model ship builder , that was his passion, but didn't really pay to much attention to the model railroading crowd...few that we were. But i digress.
    In that box....on the counter' was 1 PFM GN. O-8 brass Mike&tender 2 PFM brass GN.caboose's a brass water tower a brass water colume and some misc. junk.
    long story short' got a call the next won...come get your box of stuff......WOOHOO!!!

P.S note my ID name
  10. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Holy cow what a free score! :thumb:
    The two steamers are awesome!
    I think if that had been me I probably would have drooled all over everything. :D
  11. waredbear

waredbear Member

I finished the layout in XTrkCad and ran some trains on it yesterday. It won't be much of a layout but I think it will be enough for what I'm wanting to do with it. I don't want any switches to deal with. I want to be able to turn it on and let it go . I had to work today so and I have a work day at the church tomorrow so it is not looking good for this weekend.

I'm debating on using 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the base. I have a piece of 1/2 given to me with the boxes of free stuff that I can use. I question if it will be strong enough to hold the glass top and wood frame without bowing. Any ideas?

You have that right Cannonball. The two steamers were worth the time. Everything else was just icing on the track. I wasn't drooling but I was jumping up an down inside. I did let out a big YEHAW!!! when I drove off. :-D

In His Service, :-D