coal mine

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by rguyett, Nov 21, 2003.

1. rguyett

rguyett Member

well here are a couple of pics of a coal mine i just finished from a walther kit
    85 dollars canadian do you think its worth it
    I'm also building a scratchbuilt one and should be finished next week then we can compare them
    What do you think

Attached Files:

2. rguyett

rguyett Member

here's the next one

Attached Files:

3. belg

belg Member

rguyett, that looks like a very nicely assembled structure I'm wondering if there is motion built in to this kit. I assume that you'll weather it once it is installed on your layout or is it a brand new mine.
  4. rguyett

rguyett Member

there is motion only the two big wheels turn with the motor
    and i already started to weather it but will finish it when i install it
  5. nalmeida

nalmeida Member

Hi there rguyett, a also assembled that structure 2 month's ago I found it very interesting since it has so many pieces but the guards were a bit frustrating to put on place, the kit even comes with a bag of coal :) . I also bought the the motor to run the wheels. Mine is on the center of the layout, just standing for now, you can see it in the two first pics of this thread:

Did you paint the wheels? Mine were/are black
    I like your weathering, that is for me the most difficult part :(
  6. rguyett

rguyett Member

yes i painted the wheels yellow so they were easy to see moving
    yes the railings were a real pain since now matter how careful you were they didn't look right with all the marks on them from the framing they came on so i painted them along with the framing structure then i weathered it useing rust chalk so the whole frameing looks rusted , which it would being in the weather I also installed a grain of wheat light under the upper roof so it shines down the whole tower section
    i am building a similar one scratchbuilt but with my own plans and we will compare them when finished
    they charge a lot of money for that kit and i don't feel it is worth it
    85 dollars canadian for the kit and fify dollars canadian for the motor a lot of money for sure
    Yes i see yours in your pic and it looks good
  7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Very nice! What era are you modeling again? I can't wait to see the scratch built one.

8. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A challenging kit that you did well rguyett
    Too bad it's so pricey
  9. belg

belg Member

club layout visit

Here's a version I saw just tonite at a show in Carlstad NJ

Attached Files:

10. belg

belg Member

Sorry this is the only way I could get it to fit and for the shaky photo
  11. Parker

Parker New Member

12. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

rguyett you did a real nice job on that kit, looking forward to seeing your scratchbuilt version! :cool:
  13. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Good looking kit but as you say, a fairly expensive one. You did a fine job on it, and you should be pleased. I'll bet you get a lot more satisfaction when you finish your scratch-built one though.

14. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

RG, very nicely done!
  15. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Nice!!! I remember you talking about it on the chat a while ago. Are you happy with the speed of the wheel motion? Beautiful work!