coal mine

rguyett

Oct 22, 2003
calgary alberta
Visit site
well here are a couple of pics of a coal mine i just finished from a walther kit
85 dollars canadian do you think its worth it
I'm also building a scratchbuilt one and should be finished next week then we can compare them
What do you think

Attachments

• dcp01743.jpg
    dcp01743.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 245

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
rguyett, that looks like a very nicely assembled structure I'm wondering if there is motion built in to this kit. I assume that you'll weather it once it is installed on your layout or is it a brand new mine.

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Hi there rguyett, a also assembled that structure 2 month's ago I found it very interesting since it has so many pieces but the guards were a bit frustrating to put on place, the kit even comes with a bag of coal :) . I also bought the the motor to run the wheels. Mine is on the center of the layout, just standing for now, you can see it in the two first pics of this thread:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7389

Did you paint the wheels? Mine were/are black
I like your weathering, that is for me the most difficult part :(

rguyett

Oct 22, 2003
calgary alberta
Visit site
yes i painted the wheels yellow so they were easy to see moving
yes the railings were a real pain since now matter how careful you were they didn't look right with all the marks on them from the framing they came on so i painted them along with the framing structure then i weathered it useing rust chalk so the whole frameing looks rusted , which it would being in the weather I also installed a grain of wheat light under the upper roof so it shines down the whole tower section
i am building a similar one scratchbuilt but with my own plans and we will compare them when finished
they charge a lot of money for that kit and i don't feel it is worth it
85 dollars canadian for the kit and fify dollars canadian for the motor a lot of money for sure
Yes i see yours in your pic and it looks good

Parker

Sep 22, 2003
Edmonton Alberta
Visit site
pict0059.jpg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by rguyett
well here are a couple of pics of a coal mine i just finished from a walther kit
85 dollars canadian do you think its worth it
I'm also building a scratchbuilt one and should be finished next week then we can compare them
What do you think
Good looking kit but as you say, a fairly expensive one. You did a fine job on it, and you should be pleased. I'll bet you get a lot more satisfaction when you finish your scratch-built one though.

Don