Chicago, Il rail yard???

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jflessne, Jul 26, 2006.

1. jflessne

jflessne Member

I was checking out Google earth today. Checking out Soldier Field in Chicago and I noticed rail yard off to the left.

Can anyone tell me anything about this yard?
  2. jflessne

jflessne Member

! I'll bet it's commuter trains.
  3. railohio

railohio Active Member

It's for the Metra electric line.
  4. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Railfanning by Satellite... Cool!! You finally found an important use for them sign1 sign1 sign1
  5. viperman

viperman Active Member

That yard is nothing spectacular. You should see the one under 294 around the town of Alsip, IL
  6. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I was so bored one day, I explores the ENTIRE santa cruz branch, then clicked and dragged all the way from 4th & townsend (San Francisco) to LAUPT (LA) It took about an hour but it was interesting, got to watch out for the tunnels!! :eek:
  7. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I have driven past that yard. It's mostly commuter traffic. Chicago's rail history is very rich. It's because of the railroads Chicago is large as it is today. I forgot how many railroads made Chicago their hub. It'll make an interesting model!

8. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I spend a LOT of time on the various satalite image sites. Tall buildings, theme parks, national monuments, large interstate intersections, and train yards are interesting to look at from above - way above.
  9. jflessne

jflessne Member

Yea the bailey yard via
    is amazing.
  10. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member