Chapel car...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
From 1890 to the 1940s there were 13 Chapel cars operating around the United States. There were three Catholic cars, three Episcopalian cars and seven Baptist. Each contained a minister or missionary and his family that would live on the car and the railroads would tote them around gratis until the USRA shut them down to open up the rails for wartime use. Sadly, they were never restarted and only one or two remain on public display, the rest eventually being scrapped.

Here's the ABPS&ABHMS chapel car "Emanuel", getting it's journals repacked. My Great-grandfather, William P. Schissler, a lay preacher for many years, takes over the pulpit this day. Soon the crowds will grow, his voice will rise as the sweat falls and the Lord adds to His church.

Many thanks to Tyson Rayles for his work printing up the decals :thumb:

Attachments

• chapel.jpg
    chapel.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 234

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Yes, it's true, Ralph. I guess that, since passenger service was on the wane after the war, they never bothered to restart the cars. As for my great-grandfather, from what I know of him, I have no doubt that he would've been preaching off of the back of one of them if the opportunity arose.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Thats neat Shaygetz, I guess they were very much like the mobile classroom that used to run through parts of Canada so in the small population areas at least children had some education

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Robin. A while back someone pointed out that we preserve history in our model work. Kinda gives purpose to some of the fun in the hobby when I think of it that way.

Hey, SG!

What a great idea! Various denominational organizations operated 'chapel cars', as mentioned, that were instrumental in bringing the Gospel to many out of the way areas accessable only by rail or without houses of worship such as small farming communities. This is a postcard view of one of the Catholic cars, the 'St. Anthony', from my collection.

Russ :wave:

Attachments

• Chapel Car.jpg
    Chapel Car.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 196

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
It's not quite a church on wheels but I have plans to make a model of something even better!

A mobile whore house :)

It is based on a MDC 50' coach and done in red and yellow. I haven't made it but maybe I'll get round to it one day.

I don't know of a prototype but if they did exist it is likely they would have kept a lower profile than the church coaches :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks for the pic, Russ. It appears that the Catholic and Episcopalian cars were more like traveling churches, kind of like a rolling addition to suppliment existing congregations. The Baptist cars were more self contained with their additional living quarters so they could actually be set up to start a church in more remote areas.

I'm sure there's a prototype out there somewhere, Neil.

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: I found somewhere on the internet but now I can't remember where of all three were around both the US and Canada (denist, school and church). Dang now you guys going to make me do another search!!! About the other, I dought the RR's would allow it on the tracks but I am sure they were transported to the mine fields and boom towns. :eek: Jim