canadian tourist trains.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
my family is probably going to be heading to canada this summer and was wondering ( I was wondering :rolleyes: ) what kind of tourist trains are in southern canada (preferably steam) within driving distance of michigan? we'll be in michigan for a stay and then head up to the north for MY little vacation as i havent been on a train in some time.--josh

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
thanks for the help guys,ill be sure to check these sites all out when i get home.as for getting back to michigan,im not sure if my family would want to stay overnight or not.ill ask.thanks.--josh

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
No links, but a couple of hours north of Toronto is the Huntsville and Lake of Bays narrow gauge.
The Algoma Central (now CNR) runs an excursion north from Sault Ste Marie, but that's a day's drive from Detroit and diesel anyway.
(are you heading for Detroit or some other area?)
There are all sorts of regular passenger trains; commuter trains from Toronto; there's the run up to James Bay and the 4 day run to Vancouver. :thumb:

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
There are 3 special excursions ( not steam , it's a GP9 engine ) on july 13, august 17 and september 14 from Montreal to exporail ( Canadian railroad museum ) in Dilson .
The website is in French, bur if you call the employees are bilingual.
Express du musée

Jacques

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
for the question,my family is headed to detroit,my grandmother is there and thought it wouldbe nice to spend a week or so there.ill keep checking these places out.thanks.--josh

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
A C&O modeller should check out St Thomas, just south of London. They lost their steam engine to Waterloo, but the railway museum may be open. They have had structural problems.) (My grandfather worked there for the Pere Marquette)