Can you tell me what this is...?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Even though I do not have a photo?

I was eastbound on the 401 near Pickering on Sunday. A flatbed truck went by in the westbound lanes with what looked like a section of a monorail consist. It was blue and white with black. It appeared to be a passanger car or section of a car. No wheels were visible since the "skirts" hung down past where the trucks would be (if any...).

Any one got any info? Chris... that is your neck of the woods, isn't it?!

Lots of interesting rail related things visible from the 401 at that point, but of course, no camera. D-ohh! :(

Andrew

cpr_paul

Hmmm...maybe part of a people-mover for the airport? I think they're putting one in, but I'm not totally sure... I'm trying to think where it would be coming from actually - I know UTDC (now part of Bombardier) had a plant in Kingston, but I'm not sure if they still make anything there.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Paul,

Good guess - I was thinking along those lines too. That guess is supported by the evidence that both Kingston and Montreal are east of Toronto, and the truck was coming from the east... Hmmmmm.;);););)

I did not know that Pearson is adding a transit way of their own... Interesting! Maybe Chris (interurben) has more info??

Andrew

interurban

Hello hello hello soooo you were in my neck of the woods, and never stopped for a spot of tea:(
Now then Andrew I have not heard any rumors about people mover for Pearson or transit way They POLICIDIOTS are still talking about it again.
TTC have wanted a direct subway connection , but not in my lifetime I`m afraid. TTC have been talking about a new low floor streetcar I dont know how far they have got with that as they are referbishing the old fleet.
I will sniff around and if ought crops up I will post.
Did you like all the railway tracks around Pickering neat eh!.

PS UTDC did suppy the light rail From Kennedy to Scarborough Town Center, it may be some thing new for them??:)

cpr_paul

I think the propsoed people-mover at Pearson is just internal for the moment (linking the new terminal with T3 and the HUGE employee/long stay parking lot). Eventually it will connect with some form of rapid transit (TTC/GO/whoever) linking the airport to downtown Toronto.

My guess was just that - a guess. UTDC (Bombardier) in Kingston (if they're still producing there) also supplies RT cars (newer versions of the Scarborough RT) to Vancouver, and for the New York airport link.