can you cut turnouts or switchs

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by 13Mtrainer, Nov 22, 2004.

1. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

can you cut turnouts so you will have more room for more track on the yard?? if so were do you cut it. i am working with atlas turnouts.:)
  2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

How would cutting them give you any more room? As long as you don't mess with the area between the points and the frog I see no way to cause harm, but I'm not following how you would get more room by doing it? Fred
  3. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

Some turnouts have a longer "lead" (portion before the points) which can be shortened albiet at the expense of creating crowding and fouling situations which usually negate the advange of the shortening.
  4. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

hey CalFlash i know a Jerry, do you live in Allentown PA?
  5. 3phase

3phase Member

I moved to florida from allentown's neighboring town Nazareth "WZZO ROCKS I miss you bearman and keith!!"
  6. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

No never even been there. Moved here (central Fla) about 4 1/2 yrs ago from southern California.
  7. 3phase

3phase Member

wow, alot of us moving to florida.....
  8. wjstix

wjstix Member

As long as you don't cut anything between the points (the moving parts of the turnout) and the frog, you can shorten turnouts by cutting them. Just be sure if you are shortening the cuved leg that if you attach another turnout to it, that you aren't creating a bad S-curve. Otherwise should be fine, I use Walthers turnouts and have shortenend several of them with no problem.
  9. shortliner

shortliner Member

The answer is "yes" - but it depends what you want to do with it! This is a pair of small radius LH switches cut down to make an interlaced switch, for my new layout

Shortliner(jack) away up here in the Highlands

Attached Files: