Can this prototype yard be modeled?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Rusted, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Rusted

Rusted Member

Credit for this photo goes to AA Krug - I saw it on his website.

I'm planning a yard for my HO layout and want a truly functional yard.

I could fit a lot more yard in my space using curve radii like these.

Would it be possible? Would operations be reliable?

Attached Files:

2. Rusted

Rusted Member

3. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Take a look at Ray Mativier's layout in the N/Z forum.

His yard looks like what is pictured here. He appears to have done what you want to do only his is in N vs. HO.:) :)
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Curve radii

I've noticed that curves appear much sharper when viewed from the outside and broader when viewed from the inside. There's a yard (GO transit Bathurst Street) where the switches at one end look like Lionel S-curves when looked at dead on.
    One of my friends worked for Algoma Central for a while and says he got strange looks for protesting some of the S-curves they were planning to put in one yard; says his boss recognised him as a model railroader.
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

If you know the location, you might find a nice aerial view
  6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Jon's right, an aerial view is the only way to determine the true radii of the curves, and all the other dimensions you'd need to build the yard.
  7. Rusted

Rusted Member

Hey, neat site with the ariel views - but when zooming in that far, the detail is lost. Thanks though.

Also, Ray's layout is outrageous. Good for him, hard work does pay off!

Anyone else have a great HO yard layout with pictures?
  8. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

The only concern I would have with curved entrances/exits from yards/staging area like the pic, is the placement of auto uncouplers.

The Kadee auto/magnetic upcoupler relies on the coupler being centred over the track. Longer carraiges with body mounted Kaddees, when parked on a curve, do not have the coupler centred over the track, and will not "auto uncouple". Also the coupler (magnetic strip) does not lend itself to being placed on a curve. (It physically wont fit between the rails).

That's just a thought if you wanna "automate" your yards. You could, of course, place thee coupler 2 - 3 " along the straight part of the yard, but you loose the length of "curve" as yard capacity for a lengthy train.
  9. Rusted

Rusted Member

Good point on the Kadee uncouplers. My son and I switch on our small yard now we have trouble with consistent uncoupling as it is!