Can a tool be scratchbuilt/kitbashed?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
While waiting for Walmart to decide whether it wants to take my railroad under its new found right of eminent domain, I put together this here DCC decoder tester based on an article in the Sept. '01 RMC, page 89-92. I made the "Plug-n-play" socket by modifying an 8 pin IC socket. I added a Digitrax wiring harness into the circuit because that is the dominate decoder in our club. I also went for an industrial look (read that: impress the guys at the club with my electronic prowess ;) ) by moving the components to the front rather than hide them behind the graphix. Provisions have been made for sound chip testing in the future with the addition of a speaker and four more terminals.

I found this an easy electronics project to do having only done one other, a transistor throttle, and that over twenty years ago. It was my first using a perferated circuit board.

Attachments

• tester2.jpg
    tester2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 67

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
b28_82 said:
so that's where that paper went :p

Yep, got busted when Carol's E8 didn't run. When Bill found it was the decoder after much trial and error, I vowed to build this thing once and for all. No decoder comes to my shop without going thru this thing :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Matthyro said:
I always admire you electronic whizzes. Looks to be way over my head Bob.

See what I mean, just move them little doo-hickeys and whutzits to the front of the board and everybody thinks you're an electronics whiz. :thumb:

Robin, I've found that, if I read the schematic just like a roadmap, it works out just fine...well, that and a good, hot soldering iron...and maybe a good, clean cotton sock to place in my mouth when the vile explicatives commenced to welling up within my innermost being ;) :thumb:

A great website that helped me thru the tougher symbols>>> http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbol.htm

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Bob that link gets you a huge star, I saw something I wanted to make the other day but when I looked at the diagram I said forget it as I had no idea of what some of the symbols meant but with this link I'll be able to figure it out. Thanks alot Pat

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
and maybe a good, clean cotton sock to place in my mouth when the vile explicatives commenced to welling up within my innermost being

Grasshopper, you must learn to become one with the soldering iron. :D :D

Avoiding the deep inhalation of vaporized flux also helps. :eek: :p :D :D :D

I subscribe to the " thick book theory".....always carry a thick book, people will think you're smarter than you are.
If that doesn't work.....wear a hard hat, coat and tie, and carry a clipboard... NOBODY will mess with you! :D
Pete

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
sumpter250 said:
Grasshopper, you must learn to become one with the soldering iron. :D :D

Avoiding the deep inhalation of vaporized flux also helps. :eek: :p :D :D :D

I subscribe to the " thick book theory".....always carry a thick book, people will think you're smarter than you are.
If that doesn't work.....wear a hard hat, coat and tie, and carry a clipboard... NOBODY will mess with you! :D
Pete

That should be on a bronze plaque. Priceless!

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
sumpter250 said:
Pete

Pete, just wanted to let you know you have been added to my collection of great quotes. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
belg said:
Bob that link gets you a huge star, I saw something I wanted to make the other day but when I looked at the diagram I said forget it as I had no idea of what some of the symbols meant but with this link I'll be able to figure it out. Thanks alot Pat

You're welcome, Pat...when do I get it? ;)

Actually, I've found inhaling the vapors helps with my occasional 70s flashbacks...innagaddadaveda, baby :p

Personally, I find that the plastic pocket protector raises my I.Q. at least 15 points. :thumb:

Used the tester for the first time today...is it me or does Digitrax cross the white/yellow functions? The NMRA standard says white for front headlights and yellow for rear and danged if I don't wind up with just the opposite near everytime. Other than that, it works just peachy, I highly recommend it as a beginner project.