Building the 'new' Setagaya Japanese layout

Doug,

I liked your idea for a bus station so much I talked myself into buying a 4-pack set of Tomix buses that just arrived at Perth Hobby Centre (where I work on Saturdays).

They're quite nice little kits which I can paint up in the livery of a freelanced city transit company.

My decision to run with Japanese buses forces me to change the direction of traffic on my layout from RH driving to LH driving!! (I get sick of answering questions about why my cars are on the wrong side of the road anyway).

Perth Hobby just received their first Kato DioTown roadway sets in the same shipment. Rather nice but a bit pricey! I'll stick with doing my own.

Gavin Miller
Perth, W. Australia

Those new Kato buildings look great Doug. I am glad the Japanese manufacturers (Kato, Tomix, Green Max, etc) release such a wide range of modern buildings. I find them so much more useful than most of the European building models which don't look "generic" enough to look appropriate on non-European layouts. The Japanese kits will look good even on any non-Japanese layout.

Your Setagaya photos continue to inspire...

Gavin

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
Inspiration

Doug,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the inspiration you've given me! After seeing your setagaya layout, I decided to go with the subway layout (#309) from the kato layout book. You have set the standard for the few of us actually doing a japanese plan. I live in Kanagawa, and have all the resources available to select from when choosing what to use on my table. I just finished my benchwork, and have almost set my mind on using unitrack. Could you tell me why you decided to go with the finetrack? I know it is a tad cheaper, but kato just looks more reliable. Thanks, and if you have any advice at all regarding japanese modeling, please let us know!!!:thumb:

-docsnavely:D :D :D

nobusan

Dec 31, 2004
Louisiana
members.aol.com
:wave: Hi Doc, I note that you are building a subway layout in Zushi, Japan. I lived in Akiya, Japan in 1955 and 1956. I wrote you a separate email giving more information . Hope we can correspond about Japanese N Scale. I live in Louisiana now and I am a retired CTOC, USN.

nobusan
(joebesse@aol.com)

:)

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
docsnavely said:
Doug,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the inspiration you've given me! After seeing your setagaya layout, I decided to go with the subway layout (#309) from the kato layout book. You have set the standard for the few of us actually doing a japanese plan. I live in Kanagawa, and have all the resources available to select from when choosing what to use on my table. I just finished my benchwork, and have almost set my mind on using unitrack. Could you tell me why you decided to go with the finetrack? I know it is a tad cheaper, but kato just looks more reliable. Thanks, and if you have any advice at all regarding japanese modeling, please let us know!!!:thumb:

-docsnavely:D :D :D

I hope you have lots of access space for cleaning and maintenance !!!

In case you did not see this in another thread, the extended version (#4) of the layout has now been to two exhibitions, and won 'Best Exhibit' at Canberra.

There are lots of new pictures on the home page, including a new Bullet train line ...

http://japanese-trains.com/setagaya/

Thanks for all the comments :thumb: