building my own snowspeeder

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
somehow i still think that this is the easy part of the snowspeeder..

Also i don't know what to do with the belly of the beast because i cut the wing template up, instead of folding a wing complete i cut of the upper-side..
And now i need to build a bottom-part..and i think i gonna try to build a correct belly..

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
This is a good idea, actually, I think this is how the model should have been (regarding the "wings"). It wouldn't fit the paper format, I guess...
Why don't you do the bottom part similarly as the top? Glue it together, strenghten to required thickness, glue to the top and then glue the strip on the edge?

And yes, this is a big one even in original scale. Here is mine, spread across the A4 workpad :) And yes, without the cannons and stuff on the top, it looks a lot like a flatfish :)

Correct belly would be a challenge - I have found no pictures of the belly, as far as I remember. But perhaps starting by canibalising the landing skids from an X-Wing and continuing on... But then again - there is no room for the skids, because the floor is so close to the belly...
It is a funny little thing - (human) pilots don't fit, it does not land (normally, at least), it has no belly... sign1

leofirebrand

Jul 24, 2012
Holy Crap! based on those reference photos not only did the pilots not have legs they had giant tubes impaling them and we thought the empire was bad.

In all seriousness though, here are some drawings done for the wizkids line of simple card models. They have the snowspeeder among a few other ships and make excellent reference for creating scaled line drawings since they have top, bottm, left, right, back, and front views. Based on the reference photos they are pretty accurate.

http://www.zteamproductions.com/sw-tcg.html

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
i think that that giant tube is the chassis of the speeder....

I see now that i need to build the back of the speeder before building the belly..
That because of the black cooling flaps.., they are as low as the underside of the speeder.

Now i hope that i have a little space over for the custom underside.

Attachments

• SN154793.jpg
    SN154793.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 21

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
ok..
Got a problem.
I made the back side the black box were the cooling-ribs are attached.

The box is arround 7cm short. (2,75 inch)
When i rebuild the black box i will have enough room for a correct belly.
but i don't know if i can do that.
i build fairly good (i think) ...but creating is something else :)

For the correct angle of the wings i need to build the wing engines left & Right..
then i can set the wings.
And start with the backbox and underbelly...

Attachments

• IMAG0670.jpg
    IMAG0670.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0669.jpg
    IMAG0669.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0668.jpg
    IMAG0668.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 31
  • back orginal.jpg
    back orginal.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 26
Z

Zathros

These last set of photos were really great. This thing is huge! I would love to see something like that in person. The last picture of the back end is most impressive! :)

leofirebrand

Jul 24, 2012
Sorry to hear the back box is not the right size. I was not 100% sure what the problem was based on your post but If you need any help feel free to PM me as I do alot of scratch building and would be happy to help.

If what your needing to build is a box shape then that is not too bad. I would take thee part that mounts to the back and trace it out and then adjust the size by the correct 7cm. Once you do that make a second that matches exactly. Then use a ruler to determine how thick the box is supposed to be and cut a strip that exact thickness. You can then use the edges of the box to etch your crease line and glue the strip around the outside permiter.

Z

Zathros

Don't know if this helps. If you can post a picture,straight on, from the angle you need, and place a ruler, or give me the exact dimension, I can scale the drawing and give you dimensions, even the part unfolded, if you need it. You just have to give me the info. :)

Attachments

• Angle.jpg
    Angle.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 17

spawntan

Sep 25, 2012
very impressive
also by the scale of the snowspeeder, even missing details but it looks great so sige to see the finished project

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
ok..

made myself a custom backplate. (just the box)

It looks good, i thought but watching the pictures it's a little to small sideways..so i have to rebuild this.
The 7cm down are perfect i think this will do the trick..

I need some details on it...the cooling ribs tadaa...a nice snowspeeder back.

i hope :)

the position of the wings is nice..i put the back engines on top and they look straight..ok 1 problem solved...

Attachments

• top back engine.jpg
    top back engine.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 17
  • custom back1.jpg
    custom back1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 18
  • custom back3.jpg
    custom back3.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 18

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
i really don't know if i'm the only one.
But the speeder as build in the kit will not have a correct bottom..

When everything goes ok i will have a bottom which will look as it should be. (i hope)

treadhead1952

Mar 22, 2009
Las Vegas, NV USA
Yep, yep, just what he said. Arriving at a problem, checking it out, deciding what you can do and taking care of it is all part of the process of these things and you are working right on through them from my point of view.

Z

Zathros

If you look at the rear of the model (plastic?) vs. the paper one, there is a difference. Something is off. There seems to be a step, in the hull missing, I don't know if any of these pictures are definitive. I do know that based of aerodynamics, this thing would spin out of control if those flaps (spoilerons, spoiler, not sure what they're called, spoiler seems more accurate) if raised and lowered the way they showed in the movies!

I think there should be a step down at the rear of the canopy, where it ends on the fuselage that is not designed into the paper model. Good luck! :)

Snowspeeders-ST.jpg

Snow+Speeder_edited-4.jpg

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
ok about aerodynamics you don't have to worry with star wars :) that is not there.
But i try to build the plastic version of the back en bottom.

The paper-version is normally very small and then you don't see the error..

But with my size the errors become also a little bigger :)