Build - Oogie Boogie's Dice

Sep 2, 2023
Here is my first build since joining this site! It is Oogie Boogie's Dice. They come from The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I have not watched yet, although I do intend to. I decided on this project because I just think the dice look really cool!

I found it here:

https://www.disneyexperience.com/activities/models/dice_model.php

Printed Out:

1 - Printed.jpg

First, I cut out the pieces. There were only 2, with all straight cuts and not very many cuts. Therefore, this step was easy and did not take very long.

2 - Cut Out.jpg

Next, I used fineliner markers to color the edges. I did not have an exact red, so I used the closest I had to the model red. This part took quite some time, as the edges are long, but it was quite relaxing. For non-tab edges, I used the fine tip end. I decided to use the wide tip end on the tabs since I expected more edge to be visible wherever there would be a gap after folding, and for some reason, little balls of fiber kept getting stuck on the tabs. As you can see, one of the tabs has extra markings - this is where I was trying to clean those extra fibers off, and afterwards it was not a problem anymore. In hindsight I should have just used a different piece of paper, but I wasn't very organized when I built this and the tab itself was the next best choice.

3 - Fineline.jpg

After the finelining, the next step was to score the fold lines. For this, I like to use a tool that has a metal tip with a tiny metal ball on the end. Not sure what it is called, but it scores the paper nicely without tearing (at least not on the first couple of passes). I have tried to use a craft knife before to score, but I find, at least for me, that it just causes more problems than it solves. Some of my score lines went off track a little bit, so I should have used a ruler or went a little slower, or perhaps softer with more passes.

4 - Score.jpg

The next step was folding and gluing. This was the most exciting step for me. The final result had imperfect gaps, but I finished it off by fine lining the other edges of the dice. This accomplished a more uniform look, as well as hiding a lot better any gaps where the tabs were glued, as well as corner gaps. I am quite pleased with the result.

6 - Final 2.jpg

Even though this was theoretically a very simple model, there was still a lot to be learned!

Attachments

• 5 - Final 1.jpg
    5 - Final 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
The film is a sublime piece of animation and a very good film too...

You say this is theoretically simple build, but a lot can be learned from these - its not as easy as it looks to get a very uniform shape,

Now get yourself off to watching the film and building more models

Sep 2, 2023
The film is a sublime piece of animation and a very good film too...

You say this is theoretically simple build, but a lot can be learned from these - its not as easy as it looks to get a very uniform shape,

Now get yourself off to watching the film and building more models
I'm going to make sure and watch sometime this year! The music from that movie is fantastic as well :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Tie them together with string and throw them over your rearview mirror. ;)

Reactions: spencerledoux3