Brass Pacific for $27.50

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Fred_M, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Here's an add from January 1950 MR. Cast brass tender kit was $5 more. The mag is fun to read with words like keen. FRED:)

Attached Files:

• 1950.jpg
      File size:
      38.7 KB
  2. neilmunck

neilmunck Member

3. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Hey that tender looks familiar.
    I have one behind my John English 2-8-2. I wasn't sure who made it.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Just remember, in the 1950s my father was paying $50 or $55 a month for a two bedroom apartment.
    Now, how much is a two bedroom apartment now?
    I see the tender is cast brass. I always though the locos were cast something else.
  5. Note, too, the the tender is NOT included. It's an optional extra! Probably because they had other tenders available seperately so that you could get a Vanderbilt tender (Erie, etc.) long haul tender (PRR etc.) for it.

Russ :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

That link to that new loco looks interesting. Anyone out there build/see/hear about one of these locos? THX for the link Neil. FRED:)
  7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

That is a cool model, Niel!

Fred, those old mags are sooooo coooool. I greab up all the 30's 40's 50's and 60's mags I can get whenever they are available at the LHS or where ever. Then I go for the 70's and 80's if I still have some money left :D Great stuff. It always amazes me how many of hte new techniques were used 40 years ago! :D :D :D
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Yeah jon, I get them to learn the new old way of making things.:D Them guys back then knew how to scratch build because they didn't have much choice. I can buy a lot of paper/wood/plaster for what a nice kit costs. Our LHS has lots of old mags and I buy 5 every week for $2.50. I read them all cover to cover and run out by tuesday. I luv em. FRED
  9. Flangehead

Flangehead Member

I like the old Trains , RMC and MR mags.
    I know things were far from perfect back then,and there were no neat things like train websites. But the magazines of that time contained a lot more actual train related stuff instead of ads. ( I know, ads are good, informs the reader,pays the bill etc..) .
    They were just more nuts and bolts back then.
    Rose colored glasses firmly in place...:)
  10. brakie

brakie Active Member

Guys,At the ripe old age of 10 I built my first Penn-Line(now Bowser) locomotive kit-a PRR H9 2-8-0.My Daddy would check on my progress if I saw him smile and nod his head I knew I was doing well..If he smile and shook his head I knew I made a mistake.My Daddy thought it was best if I built that kit on my own so I could learn how to build and repair steam locomotives.
    My next kit was a Hobbytown of Boston RS3.Again my Daddy repeated the same thing as he did when I built the H9.

I will always be grateful to Dad for doing that..As I learn many lesions concerning locomotives and how to repair them or tweak the drive to get a locomotive to run smoother..:D