Bob's Big Boy....

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by shaygetz, Jul 25, 2006.

1. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, Miles.

Final assembly is done. First I cleaned oversprayed paint off of the running gear by dipping a Q-tip in laquer thinner and applying it to the drivers as they spun under power. I also cleaned the pilot and trailing trucks by manually spinning those wheels. No extra parts found:thumb:

It's raining today so I'll try for better pics tomorrow...these'll do for now.

Attached Files:

2. interurban

interurban Active Member

Bob you`ll get her up to spec soon.
    She looks Great.:thumb:
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, Chris, good to hear from you:thumb:

What a difference the sun to run around the club layout:thumb:

Attached Files:

4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Bob, WOW!!!, that Big Boy is just slap OUTSTANDING!!!:thumb: :thumb: you really did a GREAT job on her:thumb::D. THANK YOU for sharing!!:thumb: :D -Deano
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, Deano, I appreciate that coming from a UP fan...and, no, I ain't gonna hug it:thumb:
  6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

That looks just unbelievable Bob! Nice weathering.
  7. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

I'd say that's one of the best loco jobs we've seen around here, Bob!:thumb:
    Only thing missing is bugs on the headlamp!:D:D Congratulations!
  8. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Looks great Bob.:thumb:
    Yep, One of the best.
  9. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Fantastic Work Bob.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  10. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Nice job!
    I always use those paints(Don't tell my Better-Half, she uses them on her ceramics) that you get from Wally-World.
    My Rivorossi Big Boy still looks like it came out of the box(It was a B-Day present)......Not as good as yours.
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, guys, I really do appreciate the kind words. Aside from my HOn30 0-6-0 Porter and my B&O Docksider, this is the first steamer I've weathered in over 25 years (note the glaring lack of weathering on almost all my locos on my webpage) Somewhere I got skittish and couldn't bring myself to do them 'til this old boy came along and forced my hand. Now I'm gleefully scanning my display case wondering which one's next:thumb:

Time to break out those paints, Ed:D Oh...I found me a "postcard", too:wave:

Attached Files:

12. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

13. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

:thumb: :wave: :) :cool: aussie bounce7 jawdrop COOL!!!:)

Did you ever finish that bachmann Northern? The really neat one with the scratchbuilt pilot? I'd love to see that all painted n' weathered! :thumb:
  14. Jac's Lines

Jac's Lines Member

jawdropNice... Everything about this project is just awesome, and the video is icing on the cake.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  15. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Great Weathering, I'm bookmarking this one for my current engine project.
  16. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Wow...How do I keep from slobbering all over my keyboard??? Fantastic job...!!!!

And to think I passed one up on eBay...
  17. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

GREAT postcard Bob!!!:thumb: :thumb: :D NICE vid too!!:thumb: AGAIN, NICE job on that Big Boy;), i too, would be PROUD to have her:thumb::D. THANKS!:D -Deano
  18. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, guys. I had her out at the club tonight and took this side by side with a younger club member's BLI American Freedom Train( a 14 year old with a BLI steamer:rolleyes: is there no justice?). We called the moment "Beauty and the Beast":thumb:

I also got two more really nice videos that I will post tomorrow.

Miles, that Northern will get "the treatment" this weekend.:thumb:

Attached Files:

• pic1.jpg
      File size:
      61.2 KB
  19. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Bob, its a Big Boy, for the record, yours IS, the BETTER of the two:thumb: :D -Deano
  20. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I concur dean! Also I think that BLI steamer wpuld be better in the hands of a particular 16 year old, ME! :p sign1