Blue/Pink and white polystyrene?

aslan

May 16, 2006
Again, another newbie question: I have been to a couple of Home Depots here in CA and I did not find any of the blue/pink stuff. All they had was white. Is this the same material? I remember reading somewhere that in CA they don't carry the blue/pink. Anyone know about this?
Thanks,
Stan

Cornreaper

Apr 26, 2006
Barrie, ON
The blue and pink stuff is the best because it's solid and strong, whereas the white stuff is beady and VERY messy and brittle. I don't see why you couldn't use it though. As for the pink/blue availability in Cali, I couldn't answer you on that one. I'm in the cold white North, so there definitely ain't no shortage of insulation here!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The white "beadboard" type styrofoam is ok, but it is not nearly as strong as the pink or blue. The white stuff is expanded, whereas the others are extruded. The extruded stuff cuts much more nicely, and can be used with support on 16" (approx) centres. the white beadboard will need continuous support, such as 3/8" ply underneath.

So the white styrofoam will stillallow you to get the advantage of easy (if messy) landscaping, but you cannot enjoy the lightweight benchwork you get with the extruded stuff.

Try Lowe's or somebody other than Home Depot. Maybe even a specialty contractor who does insulation/refrigeration?

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Oiginally I couldn't find it in Arizona either. I called around to building material suppliers that delt with cement and stucco contractors and found some. A few weeks later I found a Lowe's that carried it. Now my local Home Depot does. I'll lay you odds that if yours doesn't stock it, you could special order a few sheets.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
The only problem is that the pink/blue stuff is hard to find in California. Theories vary widely, including the mistaken idea that California homes don't need insulation (tell that to mister sun out there, it's supposed to reach 105 today, and 105 isn't unusual for Central Valley summers at all) and rumors that the stuff is banned in California because something in it caused cancer in a lab rat once, which is contradicted by reports that you can get the pink and blue stuff in certain home stores in the South Bay Area. I just use the white stuff, it's cheap and the mess isn't too egregious if you vacuum it up as soon as you cut it.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
jetrock said:
...and 105 isn't unusual for Central Valley summers at all)

I agree with Jetrock, although we hit 115 in Stockton last weekend.

I spent a bunch of time trying to find the blue/pink stuff within a 100 mile radius, a store that would order it for me, or a place to order online and came up with zilch. The one place that would order it would only do 50 sheets minimum. I ended up with the white. It's not great, but it's done.
Doc

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I got some of the white foam to from the Huntington Beach Home Depot and I have layed it down. It is very messy. You will wnat to cut the stuff outside for sure. It might be a little hard to make terrain with it though. I havn't tried yet but I am not really looking forward to it just because of how messy it has been so far.

Don, I wish that I would have tried to special order the blue/pink foam.. Shoot. I am sure that you could special order it. It may cost alittle more than usal, but it would be worth it I think